Can Squashes cope with 8c

• 3 Replies

fatbelly

Can Squashes cope with 8c
« on: May 01, 2011, 09:00 »
Hi as the thread title asks, can BNS and Crown prince cope with a minimum night time temp of 8c.

Looking at the temp where we live this coming week the night-time minimum is 8c with good daytime temps. The back bedroom where they currently are will be needed next weekend for guests so I was hoping to put the plant's on the plot which now have three leaves each and are quite big. Next year I will not sow until the1st week in May, the speed of growth of my BNS and CP has surprised me.

In fact I have made a note to myself that next year I will now sow my Toms for my unheated G/H until the 1st week in April and my squashes until the 1st week of May, are well we live and learn.

Thanks for any advice regards FB
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Can Squashes cope with 8c
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 09:24 »
According to this
http://allaboutallotments.com/Butternutsquash.html

it's 10C. Have you got cloches or polysheeting to cover them with if they must go out....that may work :unsure:
But have you got more seeds, then if you have to you still have time to sow again.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 09:24 »
The usual "rule of thumb" for all of the tender summer crops is to aim for a minimum night temperature of 10C, which isn't of course an exact requirement (but then again forecasts tend not to be very exact either!)

BBC is forecasting 1C on Tuesday night here, which is definitely ground frost territory and would spell disaster; I would advise trying to hedge your bets (outdoors during the day, back in at night starting now, then play it by ear nearer to the weekend, with fleece standing by if you do decide to plant them out.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

fatbelly

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 10:17 »
Thanks for the replies, I will wait until next weekend and see what the weather is then.

xx
How do busy people cope?

Started by jimmytheshed on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 20:10
by Half a plot man
xx
Chilli varieties that can cope with being outdoors

Started by Stoatus on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 23, 2011, 22:21
by BabbyAnn
xx
Which crops cope best with part shade?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 30, 2024, 09:24
by Goosegirl
xx
squashes

Started by Matthew Gayles on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 09:41
by Pompey Spud

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 32 queries.