chickens

• 1 Replies

linda white

chickens
« on: March 25, 2011, 15:56 »
i use to have 4 chickens but after awhile they started to peck each other and 3 chickens died,now i have 1 chicken she is healthy but i want more how would i get more and how would the other chicken react.

bantam novice

Re: chickens
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 20:08 »
Hello Linda,
Welcome to the wacky world of henaholics!  :)  I am sure you will get loads of experienced advice here. 

As I understand it you are very right to be getting other chickens as a companion for your lonely only.  Chickens need company and don't do very well on their own.

How old is your chicken? It may be worth  trying to find hens the same age .  Otherwise I would get point of lay (pol) pullets.

When you introduce hens to each other it is important to make sure that you are not introducing any nasty diseases as well so it is important to quarentine your new ones.  If you can, have them in a separate area in sight of your current chicken so they can get used to each other.  Quarentine needs to be for two weeks and then you can introduce the new hens into the coop at night.

There will be some pecking order squabbling and it can get pretty nasty.   It usually doesn't last for too long before the order is sorted.  Have some purple spray ready to spray on areas of a hen that look red.  It really is called purple spray though it is really gentian violet and is available from most horse feed suppliers.  Chickens will attack and peck at any areas that are red and they won't stop.  the spray disguises the colour and acts as an antiseptic to help the wound heal.

Look around for local suppliers that you can visit and check out.   It is better if you can see what conditions the chickens have been living in and how healthy the flock looks.

I'm sure others will be along to add to the advice.  In the meatime good luck!  :)

11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
i want chickens

Started by matty42 on The Hen House

50 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 09:48
by RuthG

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 28 queries.