Problem with parsnip and carrot

• 12 Replies

Auntiemogs

Problem with parsnip and carrot
« on: August 09, 2013, 22:42 »
Well, I've never grown either, so I decided to give it a go in deep troughs.  Some weeks ago, the leaves on my parsnips started looking a bit dried out and brown around the edges.  This progressed and then spread to my carrots (trough next to them).  I've watered them regularly and tried to not get the foliage wet and have now harvested what was left.  I'd just like to know if this is some kind of fungal infection and if it's ok to compost the remains...
Parsnips_carrots.jpg
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

grinling

Re: Problem with parsnip and carrot
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 23:07 »
carrot fly
lift early by August
sow maincrop June

can also plant above 22" height...but can also cover with fleece

do not grow near tall plants and throw away thinnings.
bromphos can be raked into soil before sowing

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 00:53 »
I don't think t's carrot fly Grinling.  All the parsnips/carrots that I dug up were fine, with no damage at all...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 09:15 »
Carrot fly attack on carrots usually announces itself by the leaves turning pink, by which time the roots will be showing the all too familiar signs of invasion by the larvae. In severe cases the plants are killed.

In my experience, although parsnips do also get attacked by the same fly I've never actually had a plant killed by them, and the damage is usually confined to the shoulder of the root, usually with a bit of canker thrown in for good measure.  ::)

To get both dying off to that extent, and with no signs of carrot fly infestation is extraordinary - if you hadn't said you'd kept them well watered I'd say it looks like extreme and prolonged dehydration, or the water having contained something deadly to them.  :unsure:

There are thousands of moulds and fungi "out there" all eager to have a go at something, although I've never found either carrots or parsnips to be particularly vulnerable in that respect.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 09:17 »
I do not think it is carrot fly either.

It looks as though the compost has got dried out at some point and the plants have died. Once compost has dried out it is very difficult to wet it again. Usually with pots the only way is to emerse them in a bucket of water.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 10:39 »
I agree with Salmo : if it had been carrot fly the leaves would be alive, just reddish purple, so that is certainly not what is wrong.

It does look as though they have wilted and then died off through lack of water, or perhaps a drifting spray from weedkiller somewhere else?

If the soil is mainly commercial compost, then it may well have dried too much to re-absorb water unless you add a wetting agent such as a squirt of washing up liquid to the can.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 13:40 »
Mmm..tis very strange. 

All I can think of is that the incredible heat we had for a couple of days was too much for them.  They've had a good water every evening but have been out in full sun during the day - maybe it was too much for them considering the limited amount of water available (I know I was wilting!).  Live and learn eh?  ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 14:17 »
Can't see from your pic Auntiemogs but if the troughs are of the standard "window box" type they were probably too shallow to produce good carrots or parsnips anyway - the latter in particular need a deep root run.

Also, thickly planted containers dry out much more quickly than thinly planted ones.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 14:48 »
Thanks Jay, they are deep ones from Wilko and the parsnip seed are ones for smaller spaces.  I still managed quite a few baby snips so I'll freeze them for the winter festival.   :tongue2:  I may resow some carrots (I'm guessing it's too late for more snips now) but will mix in a bit of water gel this time 'just in case'.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained eh?  :)

seaside

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 15:10 »
We all know someone that has half successfully grown small but well formed carrots in an enclosed pot/trough. I've done it myself once or twice. But parsnips ? An experiment too far I feel Moggs.  :)

Until the rains arrived at the end of July, most parsnips even in open favourable ground, were beginning to show leaf damage to a certain extent. They've mostly picked up since, but I should imagine any root crop like parsnip that's worth their salt, in a pot/trough, would have thought about giving up the ghost.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 16:04 »
They were a type recommended by John (Arrow) I think.  The trough is about 12" deep and they were doing fine until the leaf thing.  Wasn't expecting to grow monsters and I'm sure they would have been fine as mini veg.  Am definitely going to give them another go next year.   :)

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/carrot-and-parsnip-seeds/parsnip-arrow/gwk4814TM

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 19:35 »
At least it is not too late to sown some quick maturing carrots, AM  :D

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 20:38 »
At least it is not too late to sown some quick maturing carrots, AM  :D
On my list for tomorrow.  :D

sad
Carrot & Parsnip Problems

Started by Alfies Dad on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 16:02
by Goosegirl
xx
Carrot and Parsnip bed preparation

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 15:18
by Chappers
xx
Carrot and parsnip germination

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 22:58
by TheWhiteRabbit
xx
Carrot,Parsnip soil tilth

Started by belto on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 22:30
by vegmandan

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 29 queries.