Netting brassicas

• 10 Replies

someoneorother

Netting brassicas
« on: July 22, 2010, 19:16 »
I've just had my 4 brocolli plants stripped to the ribs by the pigeons (:shake fist:), which leaves me with two questions:

1) They were at 4 or 5 true leaves, but the leaves have been completely stripped back to the ribs. Is it possible for them to recover, or should I just dig them out and replace with the couple of spare plants I have left?

2) Netting - I have a roll of netting from Wilko's, but I'm struggling ot come up with a suitable way of setting it up. I assume it needs to away from the plants so they aren't touching the net, but how taut does it need to be? At the moment it's just held up by a combination of sticks stuck in the ground along a ridge and tent pegs around the edge. I assume there must be a proper way of doing it - any tips?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Netting brassicas
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 19:24 »
Re 1), if the growing tip hasn't been pecked out then I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

Not sure about 2), wait for others to come along soon  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 19:39 »
it doesnt have to be that taut and to be honest there isnt really a proper way to do it. In the past I have used bamboo canes all over the bed and unturned plastic bottles/yoghurt pots etc on top of the canes, onto which the netting goes. Not the most impressive erection on my site but it did the trick. And that is what counts in my book!! I think some leaves touched the netting last year but had barely any damage from pests inside or outside.

This year though I used builders' scaffolding netting on the main brassica bed and used firmer posts around the corners of the bed, plus a few along the sides - I then, with my partner to help, unrolled the netting over it and pegged all around the base. There is some sagging in places (the net, not my partner!) but it is way off from touching the brassicas. And so far not even a nibble out of the leaves underneath and no sign of cabbage whites or caterpillers inside etc..
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 19:42 »
Pigeon netting (cheap green stuff) I just drape over tall bamboos and pull taut. I use that for strawbs, other soft fruit and peas. My raised beds are already enclosed by 2/3 foot of chicken wire to stop the chickens getting in for a munch. No birds can get in and they don't like the movement of the dangling net when the wind blows.
However there is also the cabbage white prob. and they breed until the end of August. Netting should be fine mesh (debris netting is good) and completely cover the bed (like a cage) but I still use bamboos with plastic drinks bottles inverted over the ends to stop the net ripping. If you're growing tall brassicas like psb and kale make sure it's a good 5' high!!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 19:48 »
Here  are a couple of pages of ideas, and the netting should be 7mm holes or less if you want to keep the butterflies out as well  :)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 19:48 »
A lot of people (myself included) use hoops made out of blue water pipe, with canes stuck in the end and into the ground. They are easy to set up and effective, and ideal for cabbages etc but when it comes to taller brassicas like the psb and sprouts, I am still working on it - it's quite an elaborate structure this year!
Rachael

someoneorother

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 14:54 »
Thanks guys - that thread certainly has some good constructions in it!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 15:06 »
Here  are a couple of pages of ideas, and the netting should be 7mm holes or less if you want to keep the butterflies out as well  :)

The following season I had to eat my words re the mesh size as they started folding their wings and going inside.  ::)  7mm it is from now on.

New garden and new construction method.  The pipe is just pushed into the soil and tied at the top.  Had no problems since April/May when this photo was taken.

Cheese makes everything better.

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 18:13 »
my neighbour uses water bottles on top of bamboo canes to drape the net over

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 18:57 »
I do the same as Ice, and it works a treat
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 08:04 »
Same for me - except that the blue water pipe is pushed onto short (18") bamboo canes - I find them easier to get into the ground rigidly than pushing the pipe itself into the ground.

xx
netting for brassicas?

Started by kopjules on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 02, 2012, 22:01
by jazzbyrd
xx
un-netting brassicas

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 23:38
by viettaclark
xx
Netting for brassicas etc.

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 22:07
by PennyS
xx
netting over brassicas

Started by Sharon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2008, 09:35
by Sharon

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 31 queries.