Runner beans from last years plants?

• 11 Replies

Fat Hen

« on: May 07, 2007, 12:48 »
I grew some runner beans (polestar) in tubs last year and intend doing same thing again this year.  When I got my tubs out I notice a bean plant with new growth  in one of them.  Presently about 6" high.  Whats the likelyhood of getting a crop of beans from this?  Fresh seed planted and soil refreshed in the other.

WG.

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 13:04 »
Haven't heard of this before but all things are possible, I guess.  No chance that it is a self-seeded new plant?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 13:14 »
Hi Fat Hen, runner beans are actually a perennial plant. I've often fancied trying to keep and overwinter some, lucky you ! I've read that they crop well 2nd year just earlier ! So keep a few and see what happens make sure they are well fed and watered. And please let us know on how you fair.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

splodger

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 13:15 »
you should get a good crop. i have dug a new trench for this year - but will leave half of the beans in - for next season - this is common practice in my area.

but in my opinion, after the second season the quality of the bean reduces but i will sow fresh next season and keep those for the year after...and repeat each year.

i will keep my bean trench for 4 or 5 years before i move it - my father kept his previous trench for 8 years and his beans are always great.

i will only do this for runners.

grunt&groan

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 13:50 »
when i was still at school, many moons ago, i used to do garden jobs for a neighbour and he used to lift and store his beans every year in a seed tray of sand,  just like dahlia tubers. as i recall, he had extremely prolific results compared with ourselves and other neighbours.

WG.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 14:13 »
Quote from: "splodger"
 but will leave half of the beans in - for next season - this is common practice in my area.
I learn something new every day.  Tell me, how far north is this practised please?   I have a hard time getting the blighters to grow as annuals!

splodger

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 14:26 »
hey wg maybe you should play less golf, drink less whisky and try harder at gardening :lol:

WG.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 14:29 »
Quote from: "splodger"
hey wg maybe you should play less golf, drink less whisky and try harder at gardening :lol:
 :)  :)   Check my Profile "Interests: Golf, organic gardening, history and whisky (in that order)"

Warmer summers would help tho'

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 16:26 »
[quote Warmer summers would help tho'[/quote]

and damper springs!!!!

Fat Hen

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 18:48 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Haven't heard of this before but all things are possible, I guess.  No chance that it is a self-seeded new plant?

No not self seeded I dug up some large tubers when replacing half the compost in the tub with new compost and manure.  Most of the tubers had new growth but looked a little manky so threw away (didn't  want any disease spreading to new plants).  Just kept one healthy looking one as an experiment.  From the sounds of others comments maybe I should have kept more if they do well in second year!  Oh well always next year I suppose.

WG.

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 18:50 »
Yup, I learned something too   :D

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 22:12 »
I don't even grow runner beans but was interested to learn this.

This spring, while cleaning up the veg garden, I noticed the old swiss chard roots had new growth. I pulled up the roots and found 1 sort of side shoot on each. I'm guessing that a seed from last year finally germinated, so I carefully separated all the young 'uns and now have 8 swiss chard plantings thriving nicely. Sometimes it pays not to be in a hurry to tidy up.

xx
Companion Plants for Runner Beans

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2022, 21:23
by comfreykid
xx
How reliable are last years Runner Bean Seeds

Started by nwalch on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 10:01
by fluffybunny
xx
Last Years Leek and Sprouts Plants

Started by Shieldsy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 23, 2010, 19:19
by Elcie
xx
Chilli seeds collected from last years plants?

Started by Under The Hill on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 11:24
by Aidy

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 27 queries.