Egg advice needed

• 7 Replies

matilda duck

Egg advice needed
« on: November 18, 2008, 10:35 »
Ok I know this is an egg, well the evidence of one.  Out of my four girls we have 3 eggs a day.  The only one who has been not laying is Doris shes a magpie ranger???  and to be honest a big girl.  The last two days she has laid her eggs on the floor right in front of me as if to show me she can do it ( albeit on the floor).  This egg was on the bottom shelf on which only the ducks are allowed.  Doris has been in the nesting box all morning??????? She wouldn't lay 2 would she ?and the others the shells are so hard you have to crack them with a knife. It doesn't look like a duck egg  but then i've never seen a duck egg.......any advice....... sorry to be a pain again :oops:  :oops:

muntjac

Egg advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:46 »
its a duck egg if your chucks cant lay there  but minus the shell try giving them more oyster shell ( oestra ) and grit  :wink:
still alive /............

Bodger

Egg advice needed
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:49 »
Not a technical term I know, but its just a wonky egg, that she gotten out or her system. Hopefully, now that she's had a bit of a rid out, she should be back on track again. :D

matilda duck

Egg advice needed
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 10:49 »
The chickens are free to go there as long as the ducks arn't around.  Jemmima doesn't take kindly to anyone on her bit of wood :lol:  :shock:

compostqueen

Egg advice needed
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 12:35 »
That Ostrea grit that Munty recommends is very good and they always have it mixed with their poultry grit now.

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
Egg advice needed
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 20:10 »
One of my chooks has a tendency to lay the occasional soft egg like the one shown.They free range the garden,have grit available in their run,so they do get plenty of grit,including oyster shell.She's the only one that has ever layed a soft egg.I've concluded some of them must just have a tendency to do them occasionally.I have wondered if she does them when she's been stressed out.She's the shy one,& doesn't like being picked up,or having people in the garden she doesn't know.I thought that it could be like a premature egg,dropped before it's ready,like an egg mis-carriage,if you know what I mean...that's why I thought stress could play a part in it.Once I got worried because she did soft eggs for 4 days in a row.But she's been fine for the last few months,I hardly ever get them now.I started giving them porridge,to warm them up on cold days,& also to give them extra calcium. :)  :)
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
Egg advice needed
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 20:14 »
Also it can make them feel lethargic for a while when they lay them,so I think Doris is the probable culprit.She's probably feeling a bit woozy & is having a rest!

matilda duck

Egg advice needed
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 20:51 »
Thanks all and thanks chookaholic.  It makes sence.  Doris although a big girl hates to come near us and whereas the others like being picked up and have some fuss she wont let me near her.  Maybe it is a stress thing.  It can't be easy laying eggs when your new to it.  Ahh bless her.

question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
Advice Needed

Started by darrena on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 07:06
by darrena
xx
SOS advice needed please!!

Started by koo on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 23:37
by koo
xx
Your advice needed

Started by meterman on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 09:26
by meterman

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 28 queries.