Storing seed potatoes

• 14 Replies

stooby doo

Storing seed potatoes
« on: February 14, 2012, 17:10 »
Hi everyone,

I'm a complete novice to this growing lark having only got an allotment last year so apologies if this is a dumb question...

I am going to try and grow some spuds this year for the first time.

Got the allotment favourites collection from Thompson and Morgan which consists of:

FE - Lady Christi
FE - Orla
SE - Kestrel
MC - Sante
MC - Lady Balfour
MC - Cara

I have got the 1st and 2nd earlies chitting away, but what do I do with the MC tubers ?
According to the advice from T&M, I should store them in a cool dry place but won't they also start chitting or grow white spindly shoots if it is dark.

I also got some onion sets and was wondering how to store these also before planting in March.

Kleftiwallah

Re: Storing seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 17:25 »

Grab a few egg trays and inspect your spudlets for eyes, from which the growing shoots will emerge.  Have these facing upwards in the trays and leave in a cool frost free spot NOT in direct sunlight.   Do this for ALL your seed spuds.

For impartial information about the spuds you have go to

http://varieties.potato.org.uk/quick_search.php

Dig a deep trench and pop in as much well rotted muck as you can, stand your little darlings on this and cover carefully with soil.  Only earth up when you see the leaves/stems emerging from the soil and never cover all the leaves.    Best wishes and good luck.     Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 17:36 »
You may as well start chitting the main crop as well, because you're correct in thinking that they only start anyway.

If kept cool and light they will keep like that for months, and they'll be going in at the end of March or in April - so it's not too soon anyway :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 20:21 »
I chit all types for the same length of time, from about now and plant them all out at the same time as the firsts grow to maturity the most quickly, followed by the seconds at 16 - 18 weeks and then the mains at around 20 weeks. Last year the planting was in April as the ground was still too wet after the winter and spring weather, many plant out in mid-March.

:)

Edit: spelling
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:17 by argyllie »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

stooby doo

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 21:09 »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'll chit them all.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 22:16 »
Just make sure you keep them all labelled safely / securely ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 10:16 »
I've read that should the frost get to stored potatoes, they can still be viable if they don't turn "mushy" - do you experienced folks think this is correct, or should I try again?

I forgot my chitting potatoes were on a top shelf in my shed (d'oh! worrying about moving seedlings too much) and they spent the recent cold snap out there (plenty of light due to plastic roof, hence them being up high and out of sight).

Some were part-frozen and some sections of some of the spuds have become soft, though not all over on any of them. Should I write these off and start again, or can I leave them as they are and expect that they will mostly pull through? I only spent a few pounds as I will be growing in bags so can easily buy another dozen.

Also, they haven't chitted too much so I wouldn't be taking too much of a step backwards, but obviously I don't want to bin them if they may still be fine. 

Thanks all.
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 10:29 »
I've always been surprised at how "volunteer" potatoes seem to survive the winter in the ground and come up again the following year, although of course it's not possible to know how many others actually perished.

I'd sort out the ones which appear undamaged, and then see what happens when you put them all somewhere light but frost-free - you could try cutting off the soft portions and hope that the cut surface "heals" enough to avoid infection when planted out, but given the relatively low price of seed potatoes I'm not sure I'd actually be happy doing that.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 10:34 »
you could try cutting off the soft portions and hope that the cut surface "heals" enough to avoid infection when planted out, but given the relatively low price of seed potatoes I'm not sure I'd actually be happy doing that.

I was thinking about trying that - after all, some people recommend doing that with larger seed potatoes anyway, don't they? To make smaller "chunks" with shoots coming off them.

I think I may just fetch some more first earlies later from Wilkos or somewhere and go with them, as you say, they're pretty cheap and I only need a dozen or so due to lack of room.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 14:14 »
Best to get small potato seeds, chit them in a dry cool place. you can keep them preferbly in light -  only difference will be that keeping them in dark might produce longer shoots over time and you may not want these. they might go wrinkly over time but i wouldn't be so concerned.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 14:16 »
only difference will be that keeping them in dark might produce longer shoots over time and you may not want these. 

I think that "might" and "may not want" do not appear in the equation!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 14:26 »
i meant you may not want the longer shoots!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 14:27 »
I'm saying you won't want these!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 14:35 »
Light is not optional for successful chitting - it the seeds are left somewhere cool and dark you will get long white chits which are weak and fragile.

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 16:56 »
Thanks for the replies folks. I'm going to pop to Wilkos on the way home for some new ones to replace any damaged ones, then bring them inside onto a cool windowsill.

Thanks again.

xx
storing seed potatoes

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 11, 2014, 17:40
by smellykipper
xx
Storing seed potatoes

Started by Middle Eastern Gardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2021, 16:29
by Grubbypaws
xx
Storing Seed Potatoes

Started by domw001 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 22:54
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Storing seed potatoes, onions and garlic sets

Started by Big Stev3 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 19:21
by The Golden Heap

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 34 queries.