Storing Seed Potatoes

• 19 Replies

domw001

• Msg. To Mother Nature: Just Bring It!
Storing Seed Potatoes
« on: January 17, 2014, 12:32 »
Can I get some advice on how to store my seed potatoes until they are ready to be chitted.

The seed supplier have dispatched them today but I think it may be a bit early for chitting yet.

A couple of years ago I left them in their little net bags, in the delivery box, in the shed.  The frost got to them and I lost almost all of them.

I'm tempted to store them  indoors but I'm concerned the central heating will set them to sprouting.

All advice gratefully received.

BabbyAnn

Re: Storing Seed Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 12:51 »
I chit mine as soon as they arrive (including the mid-December delivery I wasn't expecting)  In trays on the windowsill with good light but not direct sunlight, the chits remain small until you are ready to plant out even if you have to hold back due to unseasonally cold weather (as late as early May)  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 12:53 »
wot she said  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 12:57 »
Like wot they both said, but mine are in a frost free greenhouse.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

cadalot

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 13:09 »
Mine are in the shed but I bring them into the kitchen at night when there is likely to be a frost which looking at the 10 day forecast we are looking at minus night temperatures next week.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 22:41 »
I have a long hallway with a lot of my spuds chitting in trays, i keep the radiators off the only light they get is if i leave the light on, i have allready planted quite a few swift and pentland jav's in greenhouse and polytunnel 12-18 inch deep cover with bubblewrap if need be as we get frost still in may ;)
diggity dig dig

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 23:00 »
I have a long hallway with a lot of my spuds chitting in trays, i keep the radiators off the only light they get is if i leave the light on, i have allready planted quite a few swift and pentland jav's in greenhouse and polytunnel 12-18 inch deep cover with bubblewrap if need be as we get frost still in may ;)

If this is the first year you've done this, I'm not convinced that light from bulbs is sufficient to stop them getting long and weak once dormancy has broken.  Something to do with UV wavelengths or similar (I could be making this bit up though).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 23:11 »
Hi yorkie some of these spuds had smallish chits on allready and the rest is on a bottom shelf in the hall which are just starting  :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 23:28 »
My shop bought potatoes chit themselves quite happily in a dark cupboard  :nowink: But my seed pots have gone into the spare bedroom, just hope no visitors soon.
Anne

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 00:40 »
All spuds will send up chits but it's the quality of the chits which you need to pay attention to.

If they are long and weak, they will break off on planting.

You want short, stubby, darker ones (usually green or purple) which won't break off.

The difference between a) and b) is heat and light.  You want cooler lighter conditions for b).

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 06:21 »

If this is the first year you've done this, I'm not convinced that light from bulbs is sufficient to stop them getting long and weak once dormancy has broken.  Something to do with UV wavelengths or similar (I could be making this bit up though).

100% spot on, Yorkie. A normal house light is way too weak and of the wrong light spectrum. At least two months under these conditions  before you can plant them out is asking for long, white spindly chits.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 19:06 »

100% spot on, Yorkie. A normal house light is way too weak and of the wrong light spectrum. At least two months under these conditions  before you can plant them out is asking for long, white spindly chits.
Hi DD i dont want them to chit as yet i just put them there because its allways dark in the hall and fairly cool unless i leave the light on which i dont,ill put these ones in a lighter place say a few weeks for better chance of  better chits.Darren

Steveharford

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 19:13 »
Amongst others I picked up some Anya from my local garden centre today and on unpacking I was surprised to see shoots  over 1" long. An age old question I am sure but should I rub them off and start again?. Never grown Anya before.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 19:13 »
Irrespective of whether you want to do chitting yet, Darren, the spuds will want to chit.  And will do so irrespective of location.  However, the poorer the location (i.e. dark), the more likely it is that the shoots they produce will be long and weak.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 19:13 »
Steve, yes, rub them off and start again.

They will have been stored in dark, non-ideal conditions ...

xx
Storing seed potatoes

Started by stooby doo on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 15, 2012, 16:56
by sowitgrowit
xx
storing seed potatoes

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 11, 2014, 17:40
by smellykipper
xx
Storing seed potatoes

Started by Middle Eastern Gardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2021, 16:29
by Grubbypaws
xx
Storing seed potatoes, onions and garlic sets

Started by Big Stev3 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 19:21
by The Golden Heap

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 37 queries.