eaten sprouts.......

• 11 Replies

annied

eaten sprouts.......
« on: June 05, 2011, 16:31 »
Hi
looking for some sprout help. Its our first year attempting to grow sprouts, and having bought some plants we put them in last week. Unfortunately something is eating them. We have lost 2 already. I'm guessing slugs/snails or caterpillar. Is there something we should be aware of of that we can do something about??. Have reluctantly tried putting slug pellets down.
Anyone have any thoughts or experience
thanks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: eaten sprouts.......
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 16:34 »
Are they netted?

Birds will have them quicker than slugs or snails.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 16:36 »
First thing is have a look underneath the leaves, you may well find that caterpillars are the culprits. if so rub them and the eggs off (little yellow dots in clusters) and cover with fine netting to stop the butterflies laying more eggs.

If no sign of caterpillars it could be birds pecking at the leaves, again covering is the only way to stop them.

If falling over from the bottom, ie looks like nibbled stems then it might be slugs, and finally if not a lot of sign of anything but wilting looking plants then might be cabbage root fly.

Mine get covered from the moment they get put outside to prevent critturs from munching them.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

annied

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 16:45 »
sorry should have said that they have net over them. The ones that have disintegrated have been eaten down to nothing and he others have holes of various sizes in the leaves

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 16:46 »
What size holes are in the net, if bigger than 7mm it could still be caterpillars as butterflies can get through this size, also is the net touching the leaves?

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 21:37 »
Hi
   You say various size holes ,it mite be Flea Beetle,They are black about 2mm (1/8 ins) in lenght and when you brush the plant they jump off the plant .If it is flea beetle try spraying them with insecticide soap .
bazial

annied

Re: eaten sprouts....... update
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 20:15 »
Thanks for all your replies. I have noticed tiny white flies when I knock the plants. Are we talking cabbage white fly here??

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 20:26 »
We're talking just plain old whitefly!

annied

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 20:47 »
so I take it they aren't the evil little devils putting holes in my sprouts then, or eating them down to the vein

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 20:51 »
No, they'll make a gungy mess. They secrete "honeydew" on which a horrible black fungusy/mold will grow.

annied

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 21:01 »
Thanks guys and gals. Having seen another thread elsewhere I'm beginning to wonder if it is pigeon damage  :(

JohnB47

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 22:05 »
Thanks guys and gals. Having seen another thread elsewhere I'm beginning to wonder if it is pigeon damage  :(

So if they're netted and you still think it's pigeon damage, presumably the net is floppy? If so the pigeons will just walk all over it and peck at the leaves through the holes. The netting needs to be fairly taught and held away from the plant leaves (i.e. over some sort of frame, not just laid over them).

Edited to correct spelling of "pigeon" for forum search purposes.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:45 by DD. »

xx
All my sprouts have been eaten

Started by Jake on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2006, 07:40
by John
xx
my sprouts are being eaten

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 06:06
by new_2_veg
xx
What have you eaten??

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 20:57
by Ice
xx
Everything is being eaten...

Started by lewishamsarah on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 11:10
by GD

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 32 queries.