Which Pellets?

• 8 Replies

carolbriar

Which Pellets?
« on: May 31, 2010, 12:50 »
Does anyone have experience of the Fancy Feed Layers pellets?  At the moment I get my feed from our local mill but was in an equestrian shop today and they had the Fancy Feed layers which is a natural non-gm ingredients and medication free.  I know that the food mine are on at the moment is gm food and fancy the idea of trying this new one but would rather hear from other people that might have used it already.  I would need to gradually change over and would probably buy a 5 kg bag to try first to make sure they would eat it and liked it :)
This is the link that says what the ingredients are:
http://www.fancyfeedcompany.co.uk/products/layers_pellets.htm   I have no idea really what the hens need but I know there are experienced members who know all about the ingredients and what is best for the girls.  I live in Northern Ireland and believe me it is difficult getting chicken products here so when I saw this I was keen to find out about it and maybe give it a go.  Any advice would be very useful.  Thanks
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Re: Which Pellets?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 16:56 »
can i ask why are you changing feed carol?,  ive not heard of this feed, looks good though, i use the Smallholder allen and page layer pellets, there very good also.    nickyx
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 17:53 by nicky d »
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 17:03 »
Like Nicky I too use the Allen & Page free range layers pellets and have just got a bag of their organic layers pellets and giving them half mixture of each.
I had put the organic stuff in a separate feeder and they gobbled that up in no time.
I am still not sure wether to change them over to the orgaic  full time as trhey are nearly double the price of the others but if I see some benefits I it may make up my mind.

I have always thought the fancy feed range was more if your showing your bird.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 17:21 »
I have used it in the past and they were fine on it. Can't really say I see a difference in my birds whether they are on organic, the smallholder or this. I generally now stick to the organic but think that is in my head, not because I notice any difference in the ducks. The difference always seems to be from when they are on plenty of grass and greens.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 18:07 »
Thanks for that.  I don't really know why I am thinking of changing their food. I think the one they are on has yolk pigment, I can't see all the label and I can't find the label I took off before.  I kept it to see what was in it with a view to comparing it to other foods but now don't know where it is.  It just seems to have a lot of additives etc.  The equestrian centre where they had the food is a five minute drive away and very convenient - the other one isn't far away either but if only I could find the full label to see exactly what is in the food I would be able to see all the extra stuff that goes into it. 
We don't use chemicals in our garden and I like the idea of the girls being on a more natural product.  Trouble is, I don't know enough about the ingredients and what would be a good food - hence asking on the forum.  Nicky, do you get your Allen and Page food in NI? 
I will have to look into it a bit more I think :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 22:38 »
Mine have organic feeds but then they go and eat the crops from the farmers field which isn't organic  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 23:30 »
We changed to Fancy feed a while ago - mostly because they were the cheapest non GM feed our local supplier has.

The chickens eat it every morning like they have been starved for a week. But then they eat like that no matter when and what we feed them

The eggs remain tasty and plentiful.

I think its a little like baby milk - they all sing their own praises but really there isnt much difference between them
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 23:51 »
Think I might have some money off vouchers somewhere. Will look them out if you want me to send them to you (if I haven't lost them).

carolbriar

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 08:50 »
I think I might give it a go.  If Kate and her ducks do have some vouchers that would be wonderful. :)  Thanks everyone.

xx
Grower's pellets to layer's pellets

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 09:36
by Beano
xx
don't like pellets

Started by staffschicks on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 20, 2009, 20:29
by poultrygeist
xx
pellets

Started by amj on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 20:26
by doodoo
xx
new pellets

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 25, 2013, 21:34
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 30 queries.