Woodlice are Eating my Strawberries!

• 6 Replies

LorraineWB

Woodlice are Eating my Strawberries!
« on: June 05, 2014, 22:27 »
Just as my strawberries are ripening and starting to look lush, I find that the pesky woodlice have been feasting on all the best, ripest ones!  This has been happening over the years, but it seems worse this year and they seem to be doing it earlier.  Does any one have any suggestions on how to stop the little blighters munching on my precious soft fruit?  Who knew that woodlice were partial to strawberries anyway???
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 22:28 by LorraineWB »

solway cropper

Re: Woodlice are Eating my Strawberries!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 23:43 »
Are you sure it's wood lice??

Their diet normally consists of decaying vegetable matter and they don't usually eat live plants. I would say birds and slugs are more likely.

Under The Hill

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 02:21 »
Mine are being eaten by ants -  :mad:  so annoying

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 06:26 »
Just as my strawberries are ripening and starting to look lush, I find that the pesky woodlice have been feasting on all the best, ripest ones!  This has been happening over the years, but it seems worse this year and they seem to be doing it earlier.  Does any one have any suggestions on how to stop the little blighters munching on my precious soft fruit?  Who knew that woodlice were partial to strawberries anyway???

I had this last year, but now see it's the slugs and then the woodlice move it.  It has got so much better since I put cardboard collars on top of the straw & slug pellets but under the fruit (there was a thread on here).

missmoneypenny

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 07:40 »
That also happens on my plot.  Slugs go in first and hollow them out, then wood lice move in. Not sure if the woodli e are eating them, or just hanging out ?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 08:13 »
I used to grow strawbs in one of those terracotta strawb planter thingies, and on investigating the stunted growth found that all the planting holes were inhabited by woodlice - I don't know what they were up to in there but it obviously suited them a lot more than it did the strawbs (they didn't eat the fruits, probably because there were very few to eat even if they'd wanted to!)

Don't see them on my strawbs in open ground - needless to say it's slugs which can cause problems there.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Thrift

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 12:08 »
Strawberries are such a problem that I have almost declared defeat.

If it is not all the aforementioned pests it's the blackbirds and also my dear Bessie ( very greedy lab ) who has a nose for ripe or nearly ripe fruits.

xx
Woodlice eating my ***** strawberries !

Started by greenfingers on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 01, 2007, 02:00
by love-my-plot
xx
Strawberries and Woodlice

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2020, 11:11
by andyww2013
xx
Woodlice in strawberries!

Started by Penny Finn on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 18:28
by deemullan
xx
woodlice eating straawberries!

Started by joguns on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 12:53
by Sheena

Page created in 0.605 seconds with 36 queries.