help - clearing plot

• 24 Replies

mike1987

• Experienced Member
help - clearing plot
« on: May 10, 2010, 18:12 »
ok ive had my allotment for about two weeks now and the only thing i seem to have been able to do is make a pile from the bigger bits of rubish any sugestions would be great on how to go about clearing it now theres weeds stones and rubish and a load of old carpet strands in one of the places that ive tryed to clear
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 21:44 by Yorkie »

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
Re: help
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 18:19 »
Don't try and do it all at once.

Make a plan of where you want to grow things, where you want to put a shed / compost bins, and where you want the paths to be, and mark them out with some stakes and string.

Once you have done that just start clearing one small patch at a time, sort the rubbish into three piles, one for composting, one for burning, and one for the tip. 

Once you've got a small area cleared, plant something in it, then once it starts growing it will give you the incentive to carry on.

Keep a photo diary as well, you've got a start already, then you can look back and see what you have achieved.

Good Luck, and pop back here as often as you like if you need more advice.

Most of all enjoy it, don't let it become a chore.

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 18:20 »
forgot to mention we are not allowed fires and a lot of the rubbish is plastic :(

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 18:23 »
Sounds like quite a few trips to the tip then, unless your site has provision from rubbish disposal.  As it is a new plot and there is a lot of rubbish on it I would be inclined to ask if they will help you get rid of some of the rubbish.

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 18:26 »
Have to agree with Runwell-Steve...it's the way I started tackling my plot when I got it and although there's still a lot of work to do I can see the progress I've made by looking back at my photos. Just on ething to add try covering over the land you can't work yet...weeds grow remarkably fast. Good luck and remember to post some 'after' or even 'work in progress' photos

trogg

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 18:30 »
Hi Author,  I know the feeling  :(   I would just put it all into a corner of the plot and carry on with working/growing the actual allotment.
You will probably find you will use some of this 'rubbish' and the rest you can get rid of a bit at a time.

oh, what is that roofing sheet in your picture made of ?   asbestos ?  if so don't try and break it up  :ohmy:
boing boing

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 18:45 »
no metal theres loads of it i was stood in a shed made from it when i took the picture had a good look for asbestos  before i started horible stuff and seems to pop up wherever i go :( theres also a pile of stuff about twice the size of whats in the picture behind the shed i have used some of it to repiar the fence thanks for the help i know i will get there one day

trogg

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 23:13 »
Hi again mike , sorry I called you Author  ::) I looked at the top left hand side of your original post and it said 'Author'  :blush: going to have a look a all my posts on these forums to see how many people I've called Author  :D

Anyway, I've recently started an allotment in similar condition myself.
 At first I just made piles of stuff all around my allotment, bricks in one part glass in another, timber over there, plastic over here, but in the end I just shoved it up one corner of the plot and forgot about it for a while so I could concentrate on the weeds  ::)   :D

It is hard work at first but if you treat it as a hobby and do a little at a time I think you'll soon start to enjoy it  8)

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 23:29 »
i was in the same position last year. i ended up borrowing a van and taking the lot to the tip, a lot of the stuff i'm sure would of come in handy eventually, but it was very satisfying
being able to see the dog for the rabbit-so to speak

izzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 16:24 »
little and often You will be surprised how it will all come together .if you can manage a visit every day even an hour or so works wonders

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 17:04 »
Stick with it, you'll get through it in no time.  Keep the pictures coming!
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 17:28 »
Get some weed membrane and cover the area you are not going to work immediately. This will have two distinct advantages. Firstly you will suppress further weed growth which at this time of year is really important otherwise you will find its a foot high in a few weeks and it will look even worse giving the impression that you are going backwards not forwards. Second benefit is that the plot will look a lot clearer and manageable. You can then take it back a bit at a time and turn it into beds. If you dont get through it all this year then by next year the sheeting will have killed all (most) of the weeds underneath it and you will be left with good workable soil. My plot was just like yours when I started and it took me a while to realise what a good idea this really is.
Other option is to dig it all over soon but I know which option I would chose  ;)
Good Luck!
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 21:21 »
been down every few days for an hour or 2 this time last week you oculdnt even see soil the week before that was spent cleaning out the old chicke coop with 5 well dead hens in it not a verry nice job :)
thanks for the words of support they are really appreciated

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 21:28 »
The dead chickens sound dreadful -- what kind of allotment officer do you have on your council who allowed you to take on a plot with dead  still in situ.

You are making steady progress though, and as long as you keep ground you are not going to deal with covered, you will get there.

Opened out cardboard boxes held down with anything heavy (old plastic milk bottles filled with water for example is cheap and does the job well). You can also compost the cardboard when you have finished with it.

Best of luck, and stick at it  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mike1987

• Experienced Member
Re: help - clearing plot
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 05:04 »
supossedley there was no dead birds left as the rspca had been in a few months earler to take what was left both dead and alive im not sre on exactly how many there was in the first place but was told arround 40 hens 6 turkeys and 2 geese the thing is as soon as i moved the bedding in the chincke coop i found 5 burried was probebley the worst job i have ever had to do removeing them as im an animal lover

xx
clearing my plot

Started by gidster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 18:28
by harrymac
xx
Clearing a new plot

Started by tuckers_luck on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 23:36
by gavinjconway
xx
Clearing the plot

Started by Pep on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 21, 2010, 08:29
by Christine
xx
Clearing my plot

Started by Carrie3 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 10:16
by Carrie3

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 35 queries.