Rose Cuttings

• 4 Replies

Axe Victim

• Experienced Member
Rose Cuttings
« on: July 08, 2007, 11:23 »
When's the best time to try and root rose cuttings? Any preferred techniques? And, is it still worth doing if the rose has got a different rootstock?

Cheers

Baffled

:shock:
If life gives you lemons...wrap a dog turd in newspaper and set fire to it on Life's doorstep.

splodger

Rose Cuttings
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 12:46 »
depends what sort of rose you have - hybrid teas for example don't take from cuttings usually as their roots don't have enough vigour. true species have the best results.

normally, i would take cuttings (of current years growth) in september or october.

i usually try to take a mix of normal and heel cuttings - to see which is best - and i normally put them into a cuttings bed instead of pots - as they take at least a year to form roots strong enough to be planted out.

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
Rose Cuttings
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 18:39 »
Yes just cut up the prunings in the autumn and stick them in a trench about 4 inches deep with an inch of sand in the bottom (to help drainage - don't bother if your soil is sandy but important if its very wet in winter). I find success rates 100% for wild and dog roses, falling to 10% for hybrid teas, with all other types somewhere in between but the prunings are free anyway so have a go, You can dig them up to replant 18 months after planting.
If you're determined, you can root wild roses then use them as rootstock for bud grafting - I'm going to try that next.

Bobby T

Rose Cuttings
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 20:00 »
One thing that as not been mentioned is if they root you will not be bothered by suckers from a different rootstock. Every thing that grows will be like the parent although like previously stated probably not as vigourous which sometimes can be a good thing.   Bob

chrissie B

Rose Cuttings
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 13:37 »
gaedener off the telly said the easiest way was when pruning keep the long straight cuttings and push them straight down into the ground about half way and see what happens i did 5 and got 2 bushes from them .this year i am getting a cutting from man next door of a traditional greek rose it has a lovley smell .
roses here dont have names so im going to give them ones myself .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

xx
Rose cuttings

Started by LilacSandy on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2013, 08:55
by LilacSandy
xx
Can you use rose prunings as cuttings ?

Started by garddwr on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 20:48
by Paul Plots
xx
Rose softwood cuttings

Started by rich24uk on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 17:02
by Spana
xx
watering rose cuttings

Started by karlooben on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 20:34
by karlooben

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 28 queries.