Strawberries from seed

• 11 Replies

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
Strawberries from seed
« on: March 14, 2011, 19:08 »
Hi, the kids decided they wanted some strawberry plant's in their raised beds and I happened upon a strawberry kit so got that. We planted up 24 modules and they are on heat at the moment, but I have no idea on germination rates and no idea where to get the EU minimum rate data from. What kind of percentage can I expect from these? They are Alexandria, which is apparently runnerless yet the box also talks about propgating from your plants in years 2 and 3. How does that work without runners?

Thanks!

viettaclark

Re: Strawberries from seed
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 22:41 »
I have never grown from seed because runners are the surest and cheapest way to propagate. If I fancy different types I swop with mates.
Can't understand a runnerless plant! Maybe you have to split the rootball or take root cuttings?

andy135

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 23:49 »
Years 2 and 3 are normally the cycle for runners.

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 00:59 »
Runner-less?

Your "Alexandria" strawberry seeds are most likely a type of Alpine Strawberry and they do not send out runners.

After around three years they form small "clumps" that can be divided through root division and this provides you with more stock.

The type of Alpine Strawberry that I grew years ago gave only rather small fruit, very plentiful but quite different from the more frequently seen strawberry fruit. I guess it is similar to a wild strawberry in many respects.

Fun to grow from seed but I'd look out for some rooted runners if you want a crop of traditional strawberry fruit.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 06:10 »
Quote from: seedaholic.com
This wonderful “Heritage variety” of alpine Strawberry produces loads of little red strawberries that are bursting with flavour.

The strawberries are much sweeter than their traditional commercial cousins and possess a fine, old fashioned flavour. Plants have compact growth with few runners making them excellent for rock gardens, pots and pathways.
An alpine Strawberry that is very hard to find, excellent for high altitude climates!

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Cave Man

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 06:52 »
Hi

I grew some from seed last year and had a very good germination rates. They did take quite a while to germinate though.

Hope that helps.

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 07:13 »
Thanks for the replies folks. The box doesn't mention them being alpine anywhere, and the pictures of the fruit on the box are of regular strawberries. I feel a little cheated now and will probably nip off and buy them a tray of plants then as they will be expecting big fat fruits.

:)

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 17:16 »
I hope the seeds do come up for you as they are a novelty... I planted some into a large clay strawberry pot (lots of planting places around the sides) and they provided lots of little fruit... quite sweet so don''t give up on them altogether.  ;)

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 17:26 »
I was in B&Q today buying more compost and came across a strawberry growing kit and as I've never grown Strawberries let alone anything else. I decided to buy a pack which comes with it's own little greenhouse :D

Think the wife will allow these on her windowsill  ;) ;)

Good to know there is a good germination rate from seed ones.
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 17:57 »
I've grown strawberries from seed before and they were easy. Provided the seed is fairly new you'll get good, fast germination. Try to spread them a bit at seeding time so you can transplant them easily at a better size rather than teeny, crowded things.

From my experience, all strawberries from seed are more of an alpine (wild) variety with smaller but tastier fruit. It's possible to get some fruit next year but not this year. So runners might be a better route for the kids who need instant gratification. You still won't get fruit until next year but you'll have sizeable plants that the kids can better understand.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 19:10 »
I grew Florian from seed and got fruit the first year as well as a few runners.

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 23:45 »
I think you are right Trillium.... the strawberry seed kits do tend to be Alpine strawberries.

xx
strawberries from seed

Started by amurdin on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2015, 12:37
by Headgardener22
xx
strawberries from seed

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 08:22
by richyrich7
xx
Strawberries from seed?

Started by sarah1983jane on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 20:17
by sarah1983jane
xx
Jubilee strawberries from seed?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2011, 17:29
by DD.

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 29 queries.