Gardeners' World & global warming

• 23 Replies

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« on: June 06, 2008, 20:48 »
Just turned off G World. Sadly I am beginning to find this programme boring. We have just been shown some feral plants in Devon which were stated to be thriving because of the very mild climate, attributed partly to the location and partly to global warming.

Rubbish. I live on a hill side in West Yorkshire. I can go out of my house and within 200 yards find both ivy-leaved toadflax and red valerian. They have been established since before global warming was invented. And the campanula - I tore it out of my garden because it spreads too easily.

Also, I am absolutely fed-up with hearing 'incredible' and 'really, really'.
A couple of weeks ago they gave us a few moments of a recording of Geoff Hamilton. It was very refreshing to hear his easy-on-the-ear manner of speech, really really unadorned with incredible superlatives.

Welsh Girls Allotment

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 21:13 »
Thought it was just me that felt like that - I was amused to see Joe using weed suppresant fabric at the plot - scraping and rotorvating obviously multiplied everything !! ... and doesn't his horsetail look nice and vigorous  :roll:

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 22:35 »
I have been watching the old Gardeners World series on UKTV SKY. They have been showing old editions with Geoff Hamilton and Alan Titchmarsh as the presenters. So much more interesting than the ones we have to endure now!! I agree with you both so boring. The old programmes of 30mins duration left me wanting  more. These days ~~thanks to the wonders of SKY+ i fastforward the boring bits. I think I actually watched 20 mins out of the 60 min programme

Jazzbyrd
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

peterjf

gardeners world ,
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 22:42 »
i see that no one here has mentionmed that monty don has had to leave the tv programme because of ill health ,

Trillium

Ruby Red

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 23:05 »
. . . and whats with Alys' glasses. She looks like Mary Whitehouse.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Welsh Girls Allotment

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 23:13 »
I quite liked the glasses -  :lol:

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 23:27 »
Phew I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I thought I would get lynched for saying GW has got boring.  I don't even bother to watch it at all now.  Very sad.  I used to really look forward to watching it.  This new series is just not interesting for me at all.  When they said there was a new allotment bit with Joe Swift I thought yes at last something I'll be interested in.  I'm not really learning anything apart from I was right about Joe Swift.  Too arty farty!  

I feel I have no real liking for any of the presenters.  They're ok I guess I just don't identify with them at all.  Monty always said something that made think I've felt like that or thought that.  I think we need a new main presenter and none of those currently on there fit the bill I'm afraid.  Sorry for all those who voted for Carol Klein.  She is enthusiastic but not main presenter material I don't believe.

I'm really sorry but I don't take to that Alys at all.  I dont' know why.  She's probably a nice girl and she clearly knows her stuff.  Maybe she's too academic for a practical person like me to comprehend.
Teen

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 23:30 »
I like Christine  :D

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 23:34 »
Me too.  If you mean Christine Walkden.  She's just so enjoyable to watch.  I'm sure others will disagree but I like her sense of humour and her passion for horticulture.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 23:42 »
Yes that's her. She's funny too.  I loved that bit where she was pruning a wisteria and was hanging out this lady's window and the lady was holding her by the legs  :D

I had to laugh as well when she was eating off her lap and the camera panned to her dining table which was groaning under the weight of seed trays  :D  She's the real deal  :D

purplebean

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 11:12 »
We have given up on GW completely. If we want to watch gardening we stick a Geoff DVD on  :D

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 16:46 »
Must admit that when I started this thread I didn't expect many people to agree. In fact, I thought I might make myself unpopular.

I have nothing against any of the programme participants in a personal sense but they all lack that very subtle quality that made GH and AT seem like everybody's best gardening pal. Monty Don was just a little short of the mark. (and best of luck to him for the future).

But whatever else, I do wish they - and all other TV personalities - would quit their endles 'incredibles'. It must be the most misused word of the moment.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 17:04 »
Aunty loves Alan T

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 18:14 »
I agree, GW is a bit boring these days .... I still tune in to watch it, but usually lose interest.
Also agree, Christine is brilliant. Genuinely passionate about growing stuff.

xx
BBC Gardeners' World

Started by scentedstock on General Gardening

35 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 17:49
by izzy
xx
Gardeners world Alain T

Started by Caretaker on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 19:51
by topgardener
xx
Compost heap warming up.

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2020, 11:30
by jezza
xx
The best fertiliser is a gardeners shadow.

Started by Stree on General Gardening

20 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 18:23
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 29 queries.