pruning a grape vine

• 3 Replies

rowlandwells

pruning a grape vine
« on: October 31, 2020, 12:38 »
having had this grape vine for some years now it grows in the poly tunnel quite happily  we had quite a good picking this season the only downside is its got pips but the one thing we don't know is how to prune this vine so any info would be most helpful

mrs bouquet

Re: pruning a grape vine
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 14:51 »
I have a very large outdoor one, which is always laden with fruit.  I just take mine back to the main large branches.  Good luck.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jambop

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 19:03 »
Been here before there are a few ways to prune a vine. I think for most general gardeners the best way is the cordon method. Basically you have one cane from the main trunk and you prune back all the shoots that have come off that back to two buds. The pruning must be done in dormancy so January is a good month. How many spurs you want to leave on the cane is a matter of prospects... how much will the vine give and how well the grapes will ripen. I live in a proper wine producing area and I would not leave more than seven spurs on a vine... stands back to be told how it should be done! Should have said the one cane is permanent so you can wrap it round a wire. Then at the end of the season prune all the new seasons growth back to two buds at each spur.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 21:52 by jambop »

jezza

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 19:09 »
Hello the old man I worked got always pruned his indoor grape vine back to 4 buds on 25 Decembet about 2 o'clock some times it was to 2 buds if he'd had too much home made wine for his dinner, that was why it was a 2 PM start if he had fallen asleep   jezza

xx
grape vine pruning

Started by terry d on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 19:31
by realfood
xx
Grape Vine Pruning

Started by bobw1956 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 28, 2015, 11:48
by andimac
xx
What to do with a grape vine?

Started by kel28 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 13:07
by kel28
xx
Grape vine

Started by Allotmentbabe1968 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2020, 21:56
by hasbeans

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 37 queries.