Turnips

• 9 Replies

AndyRVTR

Turnips
« on: October 31, 2020, 18:45 »
Whatever happened to the good old british turnip? All I see for sale are swede seeds, is it still possible to buy proper turnip seeds, y'know, the ones we used to cut the middle out of and make lanterns for Halloween!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Turnips
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 19:01 »
This lot sell seeds for a giant turnip which I have not tried.  It is a French variety but would be the turnip of Baldrick’s dreams looking at the picture  :D

They also sell seeds for Gilfeathers turnip-swede, which grows as big as a swede, but is a mix of both.  I have grown that and you could hollow that out.  It is also pretty good eating  :)

https://www.realseeds.co.uk/turnips.html

Mr Dog

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 19:06 »
?? They were/are swedes (Swedish turnips) - simply misnamed
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 19:08 by Mr Dog »

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 19:37 »
I used to get my thumb strengthened  by digging out the innards of a swede with an old spoon sharpened by my Dad.  I also used to get tummy ache through eating too much raw swede! :)
Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 18:39 »
I think Turnips seem have gone out of favour for many  gardeners I'm surprised Kings Seeds sell Mangel seeed i grew some mangel the other year just for fun the wife thought they where swede untill i harvested them they grew very large what are you going to do with them she asked

i said sheep like them so i gave them to my farmer friend who gave them to the sheep who turned there nose up to my Mangel's and they ended up on the dung heap

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 19:16 »
You should have sent me one, me dear.  Old Worzel needs a new head  :lol:

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 17:33 »
sometimes i feel like i  need a new head Aunty well that's what the wife says  :lol:

AndyRVTR

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 18:23 »
Thanks for the replies everyone, apparently the turnip I remember as a kid was grown more for sheep fodder than for the table but his no longer available. So, I'm going to go for the Marian Swede, which can grow to a similar size if fed & watered properly.

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 17:08 »
I have just ordered some Turnip seed along with some more seed from DT Brown that have 6 Turnip varieties as do Marshalls who have 5 varieties and Kings seeds have around 6 varieties and  Mangel seed Yellow Eckendorf

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 09:37 »
So, I'm going to go for the Marian Swede, which can grow to a similar size if fed & watered properly.

I spent several years with hit and miss swedes (mostly miss), until I cracked it with the help of people on here.  I am no expert, but I can grow a swede now  :)

My main tips are don’t sow too early.  I usually sow in May in modules and thin to a single plant.   I grow them on for a few weeks, then they go out under a net tunnel. 

It pays to make sure they have some decent soil to go into and mine get chicken manure pellets dibbled into the planting hole and a few scattered onto the soil surface.  That was a Mumofstig tip.  I also keep them watered. 

They seem to take ages to get going with roots, but grow a good set of leaves.  Just when you are wondering if that is all you are going to get, they bulk up over late summer and early autumn, mainly when you are distracted by harvesting and are not looking  :lol:

xx
Turnips

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 15:23
by Antonius
xx
turnips

Started by massa on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 11:40
by The Norfolk Turkey
xx
Turnips still possible now?

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 14, 2017, 16:15
by Mr Dog
xx
turnips

Started by bowler on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 19:06
by AnneB

Page created in 0.484 seconds with 47 queries.