Help with cockerell please!!

• 17 Replies

rocky

Help with cockerell please!!
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:51 »
Hi

I am new to posting but been lurking for some useful info!!

I have a gorgous cock which has been raised from a chick, he is now 5 months and just maturing but I have a problem in that he is starting to attack my husband!!!! I told him to show who is boss after the first attack by pushing down on his back but he is getting worse!!!

The cock has been fine with me and my small boys but my husband now refuses to go in the garden when he is free ranging or open the coop in the morning - which is fair enough! 

I am worried now that the cock will start to go for my boys, should I rehome him (and how would I go about it) or has anyone any tips. Please I don't want to have give up on my chickens and I can see the way my husband is starting to feel  :(

too many girls

Re: Help with cockerell please!!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:08 »
you can try and do what i did, it worked  for William............

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=38835.msg461378#msg461378

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 12:59 »
I dunked Beck's in a bucket of water yesterday, but he's still coming at us through the fence, so I thinks he needs holding down a bit longer.  Would an hour do it??   >:(

No, only joking!  Hopefully he'll get the point soon, otherwise Brian has promised him coq au vin!!!

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 17:50 »
Try getting hubby to pick him up and carry him round for ten minutes at a time. This really works.
Any aggression from my boys and its.......

rocky

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 20:46 »
Thanks for the messages, there is no way DH will pick up Ewok he has a very pointy beak!!!!

I'm afraid that my lovely farmer friend will be paying me a visit tomorrow to help him on his way to his freezer  :( This will be bad as he is my middle sons 'chicken' and as he is only 6, I now need a way to tell that Ewok won't be here anymore and also DH who is a flipping veggie :unsure:

Feel very foolish for having thought that we could keep a cockerell

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:37 »
people keep asking us if we want a cockerel, I am SOO glad we keep saying no! :) He sounds like a very naughty boy!
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 09:59 »
awwww no, I love my cockerels! Danny my bantam faverolles is super, even with day old chicks. He comes running over in the morning wing tips me in excitement then runs around till he finds a nice piece of straw for me. He loves to sit on anyones lap for a cuddle. He is good with my ducklings, although they are not so sure about him! :D
I have bred from him too so have some spare friendly boys!
Saying that I would never breed from an ill-mannered cock bird no matter how good he looked. :)

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 10:18 »
Danny sounds like a very good boy  :)

rocky

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 10:44 »
Ewok has gone today  :(  it was right he went as my DH never went in the garden anymore and had transferred some of his fear to my 9 year old who was wary of going in the garden. I need my chickens to range as much as possible but also I want my family to play outside (I have 3 sons, they NEED to get out of the house!!) and my garden is bigger than average but not big enough for a boistrous roo. I feel bad though.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 16:51 »
Just replied to "HM" (Terriorized by a cockerel"  6/26/09 with a method that has been effective for me.

Take a moment to read.

Egglady

too many girls

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 17:06 »
Just replied to "HM" (Terriorized by a cockerel"  6/26/09 with a method that has been effective for me.

Take a moment to read.

Egglady

think you might be a bit late egg lady, he's probably being stuffed now.

wildwitchy

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 17:12 »
Got to agree with Foxy. My cockerel is lovely. He has a lovely disposition for such a big bird. He does occasionally peck if he doesn't want to be picked up (but I ignore him anyway & he settles) but on the whole he's great. Very good with the chicks and brilliant with the hens. His chicks have turned out very nice so far.

I have a chick grower cockerel as well who is shooting all over the place at the minute - a right lively spark (leghorn x brahma). I'd have more if I could but I live in pretty urban area & got to watch the noise level. 

Don't be put off with one bad experience. Perhaps go for the more laid back breeds.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 22:41 »
We too have lovely cockerels.  Rocky the famous Rooster is lovely.  Everyone says what a lovely boy he is, even though he is terrified of me and so is Enery teh cuckoo Silkie for some reason.  The Amberlink boys don't cause me any probs at all, its just Becks. and although I have got some of his progeny, I tell them every day that if any of them turn out like their father, then its curtains for them!!!   :D

Foxy

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 22:58 »
well I got pecked for the first time ever by Bigfoot today, he is under the weather though so I forgive him :(

wildwitchy

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 23:04 »
Never mind foxy, he was having one of those man rooster moments probably. The girls had probably got on his nerves talking about feathers and make up.  :lol:

xx
Moving in and cockerell

Started by Fluff on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 19, 2007, 23:02
by muntjac
xx
silent cockerell??

Started by kazzii2010 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 14:20
by joyfull
xx
One of my hens is a cockerell

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 21:22
by Fat Hen
xx
Culled my first cockerell today

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 28, 2008, 12:50
by woodburner

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 39 queries.