Aggressive Cockerals

• 15 Replies

too many girls

Aggressive Cockerals
« on: June 10, 2009, 11:28 »
When we first rehomed William and Anri Paul back in March we put them in a stable to settle in, after a few days we noticed they were quite aggressive towards us but put it down to the stange enviroment and the move, when we moved them into the barrier fencing they calmed down but not for long, the same happened when we took the fencing down (once everyone had got used to them) good as gold for a few days and then the attacks resumed, over the past few weeks they have got worse, when they attack from the front it's easy to stick a foot up to fend them off (not kicking them, i wouldn't do that) but they have now taken to attacking from the back (basically when your not looking) they've had Pip and made a mess of Sam's legs, they are only little birds but have sharp claws, can fly high and can give a nasty scratch and peck, we have tried all the usual methods, ie pinning them to the ground, fended them off with a board ect, things are getting to be not funny, this morning i was crouched looking in the pop hole ( to see if Kate was in there as i couldn't see her) when i turned to stand up William came in for the attack and flew at my head (it wasn't even his house) i am now sporting 2 deep thumping great scratches down the side of my face and am not happy, we have other cockerals and have no problem with those, just William and Anri Paul, i don't want to rehome or dispatch as i promised Jan they would have a home for life, can ayone gives us any advice please?

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Aggressive Cockerals
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:37 »
this morning i was crouched looking in the pop hole ( to see if Kate was in there as i couldn't see her)

???
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 11:40 »
Jack, Kate, Hurley, Desmond, Boone, Sawyer and Charley, the magnificent 7 :D

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 13:06 »
I'd put them in the pot  :blush:  there is no need for to have aggressive roos about the place when there are perfectly nice ones out there - sorry!

too many girls

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 13:10 »
I can't do that :ohmy: i made a promise, and although they are not my favourite birds i could never kill or eat them, guess i'll just have to live with it, no shorts and t shirts for me this summer..................................

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 13:38 »
I think you have to let them know you are stronger than them or get rid of them.
The next attack on someones  face could cost them an eye.
That is not something i would want to live with.

too many girls

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 13:53 »
 :lol: just googled aggressive cockerals and got sent back to here, i'm taking a bucket of water with me next time, just need to aquire a water pistol.

agapanthus

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 15:00 »
Rather than use a pistol, try and get hold of the cockerals....one at a time and dunk them in the bucket! They will get the message. Have had to do this with a couple of ours and they are as right as rain now!!

too many girls

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 10:51 »
Rather than use a pistol, try and get hold of the cockerals....one at a time and dunk them in the bucket! They will get the message. Have had to do this with a couple of ours and they are as right as rain now!!

it worked, took days of me wandering around armed with a bucket of water, but eventually William couldn't resist, he practically flew into my arms, i had him and dunked him (resisted the temptation to stuff his head under :D) Anri Paul legged it when he saw what i was doing and both have kept a respectable distance since, i may have to do it again if they start again, but so far peace reigns in the chook paddock, thank you Aggie :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 10:59 »
thats good news and a handy tip that I will bear in mind in case mine turn aggressive (only chicks at 4 weeks and 1 week old so don't know how many if any are males  :))
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 11:07 »
Must try that one with Becks the Appenzellar.  he is getting worse, and water pistol (or rather hose pipe and board don't work.  Neither did holding him down on his back or giving him a daily cuddle.

Brian keeps threatening him with the pot, but I'm trying to hold out because I promised someone some fertile eggs fom his girls in August!

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 11:28 »
I'm so glad you were able to sort your cockerels out.

We tried all these things to no avail. We suffered for 3 months trying to fettle him and it was with regret he had to be culled. We felt we had tried everything and as we were going away for a week could not ask someone else to cope with him. he was really nasty and I took to going in armed - to protect myself. I also felt that the welfare of the others was suffering as I was afraid to look away from him as that is when he would launch an attack - he knew when you weren't looking!!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

too many girls

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 12:11 »
I'm so glad you were able to sort your cockerels out.

We tried all these things to no avail. We suffered for 3 months trying to fettle him and it was with regret he had to be culled. We felt we had tried everything and as we were going away for a week could not ask someone else to cope with him. he was really nasty and I took to going in armed - to protect myself. I also felt that the welfare of the others was suffering as I was afraid to look away from him as that is when he would launch an attack - he knew when you weren't looking!!

that sounds just like William, i'd have to have one eye on what i was doing and the other on him, the minute my attention was distracted he'd have me, Anri Paul was just copying William, i was worried that Leroy would pick up on it and start too ( Leroy is a 18 week old RIR and an absolute sweetie and i want him to stay that way) hopefully we've now got it sorted, i've just been out and although William eyed me up he didn't attack, i think i've just been elevated to the top of the pecking order, now if i can just stop the kittens climbing up my legs i can have a scratch free summer  :D

flocko

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 14:01 »
We have the same problem with a Lemon Pyle brahma cockerel. He comes at me feathers ruffled on his neck and legs flying. I have tried the pick him up and give him a cuddle method(not so easy with this big boy) I have tried poking him with a stick to keep him at bay but as soon as my back is turned he charges at me again.

We were given this bird as our original cockerel got taken by a fox when he was defending his girls he was a gentle soul but this one is a nightmare its getting so bad that that I have renamed him Stewpot because I truly believe this is his destiny as its only a matter of time before he does someone serious damage. Unless of course anyone knows any other methods for getting him to behave.

too many girls

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 15:46 »
dunk him in a bucket of cold water, worked for me.

xx
Aggressive hen

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 10, 2015, 21:54
by Beekissed
xx
aggressive hen

Started by magicfairy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 14:00
by evie2
xx
very aggressive hen

Started by violet on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 20:16
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Aggressive cockerel

Started by Sassy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 09:50
by Sassy

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 40 queries.