A good year for fruit?

• 8 Replies

Nobbie

A good year for fruit?
« on: July 02, 2013, 14:22 »
Just finished picking my Gooseberries and was very suprised by the size of the harvest. Last year I picked 35lb of 3 Invicta bushes which I thought was good. Unfortunately a few of the branches were so laden with fruit that they broke when it rained. As a result some infection got in and I lost one bush completely and about 1/2 of another one. This year I hadn't looked at them much apart from spraying them when they were attacked by sawfly and so was amazed by the amount of fruit hiding away - 35lb again off 1 1/2 bushes :). Luckily Sainsburys have kilner jars on special at £2.66 at the moment so I'm going to be busy.

Blackcurrant look loaded as well, apple trees have a good set of fruit and even my plum tree from Lidl that I was beginning to question it parentage has what looks like a couple of plums on :)

How is everyone else finding it?

Beetroot queen

Re: A good year for fruit?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 14:27 »
I havent really looked at the gooseberries yet but will be in the next few days, but strawberries are killing us. Death by strawberry is our fate.  :lol: currants are dripping and the raspberries have plenty to come.

Apples reasonable but pears not so great, yellow plum tree not great but its had horrific aphids this year.
Blackberries are dripping in flowers too. So all in all fairly good, better by far than last year

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 14:35 »
Just finished picking my Gooseberries and was very suprised by the size of the harvest. Last year I picked 35lb of 3 Invicta bushes which I thought was good. Unfortunately a few of the branches were so laden with fruit that they broke when it rained. As a result some infection got in and I lost one bush completely and about 1/2 of another one. This year I hadn't looked at them much apart from spraying them when they were attacked by sawfly and so was amazed by the amount of fruit hiding away - 35lb again off 1 1/2 bushes :). Luckily Sainsburys have kilner jars on special at £2.66 at the moment so I'm going to be busy.

Blackcurrant look loaded as well, apple trees have a good set of fruit and even my plum tree from Lidl that I was beginning to question it parentage has what looks like a couple of plums on :)  :( I don't seem to much fruit on my Invicta though the bushes look very healthy. This is their 2nd season.

How is everyone else finding it?

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 15:11 »
Not a good year if you made a bodge of the blackcurrant pruning :wub:

:D

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 15:16 »
The blackcurrants look as if I'll be weighing them in by the cwt, like scrap iron. Even two brand new gooseberry bushes that I planted at Christmas are loaded. Apples (Egremont Russet, Golden Delicious, Cox's and Bramley) look to be loaded and a Conference Pear planted about Christmas is fruiting. Happy Chappie.

Victoria Plum trees look OKish

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 16:00 »
after a very poor last two years, my fruit is looking very promising so far.  Very little sawfly around (managed to pick the larvae off a month or so ago) and the gooseberries are laoded.  Loads of raspberries and the blackcurrants have made a storming comeback too.

Just need to keep an eye on it and get there before the birds do now...

:)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 16:37 »
 >:( Don't know where my earlier comment went in response to Nobbie. It went along the lines of don't know where my gooseberries have got to. The bushes look very healthy but no fruit!!!

dmg

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 17:36 »
my blackcurrants are laden this year as well as the gooseberries.
Strawberries also have lots of flowers. My cherry tree has 1 cherry, but it is its first year flowering ???

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 19:08 »
Our bi-annual fruiting eating apple has loads, we'll need to thin them out soon- but we had a good year last year as well  :blink: maybe hubbys drastic pruning is helping; it's the only time he takes interest in the garden is sawing branches off that poor old thing...

My 15th wedding anniversary fig has 5 now ripening nicely  :D nothing for 4 years in a pot when we moved houses a lot then popped it into the soil last year as it looked awful and  ::)

Moved my olive down the lottie in May and it looks the best it's ever looked.
Loads of rasps but strawbs almost done now.  Not a grendal-level grower but enough for a handful every day.  Can't comment on taste due to loads of cream and meringues  :wub:

xx
Soft fruit plants that fruit in the same year?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 16:57
by Goosegirl
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar
xx
Fruit trees - when is a first year a first year?

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 09:14
by peapod
xx
Patio Fruit Trees - Any Good?

Started by Teen76 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post November 08, 2010, 19:36
by Teen76

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 34 queries.