Rhubarb and Raspberrys

• 6 Replies

buckstar555

Rhubarb and Raspberrys
« on: March 22, 2009, 12:50 »
Another Question? Ok Ive growing rhubarb (victoria) from seed. Im thinking as Im limited,for space? To plant rhubarb plants between the raspberry canes,as they are about afoot apart and strip of soil is 25 foot by 1 foot wide? Whats my chances. Thanks

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
Re: Rhubarb and Raspberrys
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 13:35 »
I wouldn't personally - rhubarb can get massive, raspberries can put up new canes in odd places, they'll be competing for nutrients, and harvesting it halfway down a 1-foot wide row would be difficult, I would think.

buckstar555

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 18:11 »
Hi Jules, Ok thanks for that! I wasnt sure,as I was going to plant tiny crown between Raspberry plants. Manure woodnt be a problem?Thanks

Stripey_cat

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 22:42 »
A mature rhubarb plant can be a metre square, with a square foot of that solid roots.  The raspberries will spread and try to throw up canes in the middle of it (although they'll probably get crowded out by the rhubarb leaves, the plant will waste energy).  If they do both do well, you'll be trying to pull rhubarb stems without damaging the raspberry canes next to them, and trying to reach over the spread of the rhubarb leaves to pick raspberries.  Plus rhubarb is more greedy for nutrients than raspberries, so you won't be able to keep both happy in the same bed.  It's a bad idea!

buckstar555

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 17:39 »
Hi Stripey-cat, yes makes sense as you say? I will leave raspberries alone on there on patch. I think Ive found another area for my Rhubarb? As Im Ltd for space,now thinking of planting around fence (boundry) around 9-10 foot lenth? only problem is its south east facing part shady as neibour has conifers Grrrreeeeee. Thanks once again.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 19:24 »
My rhubarb is in shade for part of the day, and is still trying to take over the world!  The only thing to watch with it being near a hedge is that it gets enough water.

buckstar555

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 21:45 »
He,he. Yes Ive this about Rhubarb? Wanting to get attention! I used about half the seed packet to grow plants,so will give them all a chance.Thanks once again.

xx
Raspberrys

Started by Waynestrout on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2007, 11:57
by muntjac
xx
Raspberrys

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 17:01
by Goosegirl
xx
Help with Raspberrys

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 21:17
by Trillium
xx
Spineless Raspberrys

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 09:19
by galen

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 29 queries.