Swiss Chard

• 11 Replies

NormandyMary

Swiss Chard
« on: January 27, 2009, 19:24 »
Hi all.

After seeing it cooked on a James Martin programme, I bought and tonight ate some Swiss Chard. Has anyone ever grown it, and if so is it easy to do?
Thanks.

Mary.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Swiss Chard
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 19:41 »
Yep, it's dead simple. I grew some last year in a large plastic crate in the garden. Seeds came up with no propbs and the stems were a glorious  mix of red/orange yellow. I gave some of the thinnings to my friend over the road (dug up with a lump of soil on the end and acrried over ona trowel) and she grew them in amongst her flowers in the border. Cut and come again style crop, which was great.
Am planning a whole load more this year in the new raised beds. I gather you can put them in anyhwhere there is a space and not worry too  much about which group they belong to.
Good luck
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 19:52 »
sunshine is dead right very easy to grow
leafes and stems are good eating

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 21:18 »
when i took on my lotty last year my neighbering plotter gave us some to try, lightly steamed with a little butter and it was delish. this year i intend to grow loads of it as indeed it is so easy.
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Elcie

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 21:41 »
I have heard they are very easy to grow and look brilliant too.  Going to include them in my new front garden vegetable plot where I am aiming to combine looking good with being productive!

yummy

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 22:04 »
I grew some last year. It was dead easy. Sowed the seeds and they grew - that was it  :lol: We were cutting it once a week and it kept growing back for months. We have some that has self seeded from an old plant too.

NormandyMary

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 22:58 »
That's it then. I'll do it. I found it delicious, there was such a contrast between the leaves and the stems, it made it very interesting to eat. Ive also read its very good for you too, so its a double whammy!
Ill let you know how I get on.

Mary.

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 00:23 »
My six year old grew a bunch last year and I let her plant them all by herself, they came up almost as good as mine, she was well chuffed when we all sat down to eat them! So yes I would guess quite easy, I am still trying to figure if they are goof for rabbits tho....

RichardA

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 17:03 »
very easy and is around when spinach is not. Any that gets a bit big we throw to teh ducks and they love it as well
R

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 18:10 »
I haven't grown this yet but my mate has been growing the rainbow variety in her front garden for years. I get it fairly regularly in my veg box and am looking forward to growing it this year. I make a swiss chard tart with thyme in the pastry and fry off the stems first with some onions and garlic before piling it into the pastry case with eggs and a little cream. It's from  Allegra McEvedy's Colour Cookbook which is the best for great ideas for all sorts of veg. She puts cheese in it too but I prefer it without. Yum!

bisgedyn

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 18:35 »
I tried it last year but no real luck  - v slow growing both in pots and beds and got nibbled by pests - a lot! The few leaves I did have were delicious though.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 21:56 »
Utterly bombproof - if you let it seed it can get invasive!  It is slow compared to spinach or lettuce, though (plant in late spring for autumn/winter harvests).

The seeds (like beetroot) are really clusters of seeds, so you either need to station sow quite widely, or be ruthless thinning!  Overgrown clumps are more vulnerable to rot and mould in wet weather (ask me about the slimey mess I need to clear from one of my beds right now, although they stood quite well until the last few weeks).

It survives cold better than dry - mine did get occasional watering over the summer - although I think cloches help if you want to get top-quality leaves over winter.

xx
Swiss Chard

Started by Grasshopper on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 22:05
by solway cropper
xx
Swiss chard

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 10, 2014, 08:13
by Headgardener22
xx
swiss chard

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 20:41
by gobs
xx
swiss chard

Started by upinsmoke on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 09:30
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 28 queries.