blackcurrant bush

• 8 Replies

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
blackcurrant bush
« on: July 20, 2008, 15:21 »
Hello everyone,
Another good harvest from my self maintaining blackcurrant bush. Not as good as previous yrs as I usually prune it early spring, for some reason this yr I didn't, I think it's cos it didnt die back fully and started sprouting early on.
Anyway, 6lb of blackcurrants no less from 1 bush, not counting the ones I've already given away/ eaten or fell off the bush.
I originally bought it from poundland to promote wildlife into my garden, Insects & such love it, and bluetits love the grubs, great for the baby birds in spring lol.

Would it be a bad idea to prune it now? It's very straggly and in the way for my DH & son to get past.

Thanks

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
blackcurrant bush
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 16:32 »
if its in the way then youll have to trim it but id live it till a bit later when its gone into sleep mode but thats just me.
mind you if you leave it later you can propagate those cuttings into new canes as a back up  or as more canes

gobs

blackcurrant bush
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 19:35 »
Getting in the way canes off an established bush, should not hurt.

There is also summer pruning... :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
blackcurrant bush
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 22:53 »
Thanks blackisgreen & gobs,
I have since read somewhere (RHS maybe) that someone removes the trusses the blackcurrants are on, & therefore prunes the bush that way at harvesting.
The bush is established, 4 or 5 yrs old gobs so I'll prune the offending canes and leave the others be for now. It'll get a proper pruning between Nov & Feb.
Thanks again

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
blackcurrant bush
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 23:20 »
My volunteer blackcurrant that we found growing next to the old patio is the same age, and I got 10lbs off it this year.  and last year I got Brian to prune it for me, and almost all the prunings took and I gave them all away!!!

Will have to take more cuttings this year.

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
blackcurrant bush
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 23:46 »
Blimey Grannie Annie I never thought of that! Must look up how that's done, I've wasted the last few yrs prunings not knowing that I could've done that. Thankyou!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
blackcurrant bush
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 00:06 »
Well, I just dipped the ends of the cuttings in hormone rooting powder, stuck them all (24) in a BIG pot of soil and watered them as necessary!!!!  And I only lost a couple of them!!!

So that wasn't rocket science.  I said to my Brian, they've got 2 chances, and what have I wasted if they don't grow?  a bit of rooting powder!!

Porffor

blackcurrant bush
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 09:09 »
Wow.. having planted a blackcurrant bush this year I'm hoping I'll be as busy in the fruit dept as you all! lol

Any tips on pruning gratefully received. My bush is tall rather than wide at the moment and obviously a baby. :)

Can't wait for next year now! lol  

Great tips about planting up prunings..

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
blackcurrant bush
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 12:30 »
I've pruned the offending canes so we can get past the bush now and I've put the prunings in a bucket of water for now. I've no compost at the moment, will buy some soon.
Thanks again for the advice  :wink:

xx
Blackcurrant bush?

Started by Trikervix on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2006, 12:36
by Oliver
clip
Blackcurrant bush

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2019, 12:46
by Goosegirl
xx
Blackcurrant bush - can anyone help please?

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 22:07
by Trillium
clip
Blackcurrant bush

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2019, 11:02
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 29 queries.