Can i move gooseberry?

• 1 Replies

Totty

Can i move gooseberry?
« on: May 09, 2011, 22:43 »
Hi all,

Hopefully there is a good chance that we will be moving in the next couple of weeks, just down the road to a house with a nice sized garden. Last year we spent much time and money in getting some fruit established where we currently live. I would really like to take a gooseberry bush with us (Hinnokomi Red) as it has come on leaps and bounds and looks a really healthy strong plant with a nice shape. Obviously now is probably the worst time to move it but will it be possible to do so successfully at this time of year? If so any suggestions are welcomed. Would be nice to take some raspberrys too!

Totty

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Can i move gooseberry?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 23:08 »
Are you selling the house or is it rented?  If you're selling and did not specify on the fixtures and fittings form that you were taking them, I think you're expected to leave them.  If rented, make sure that you leave the garden in the same condition as you found it - i.e. without big holes where you've removed them from.

Water them really well the day before moving them.  Will you be able to plant a hole to receive them in the new location before you dig them up - this would be advisable if at all possible.  You must plant them as soon as possible after digging up.

When moving them, keep them out of direct sunlight or in a hot location in order to minimise evaporation and undue stress.  Make sure the roots cannot dry out at all - perhaps wrap them in several tight layers of wet newspapers and then a bin bag.

Water thoroughly for the first year (including next winter) after planting.

My parents successfully moved two fruit trees in July 77 ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Can I move Gooseberry Bush??

Started by Christo on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 20:47
by gavinjconway
xx
Best Time to move a gooseberry plant?

Started by cawdor2001 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 06:34
by Rangerkris
xx
Is it too late to move gooseberry bushes?

Started by Tenhens on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2020, 08:27
by lettice
xx
recently planted fruit trees move or not to move

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 22:15
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 28 queries.