almonds: advice appreciated on harvesting and storage

• 3 Replies

garden elf

Hi
I'm a newbie living in Dorset who has already taken advantage of much of the wisdom and recipes on this site. However, I can't find a great deal of info either here or via Google on harvesting/storing almonds in the UK unless I'm looking in the wrong place. There are odds and ends of how they do it in the Med (drying in the sun) but by the time mine are due to be harvested the weather conditions here are not the same.
I guess we're lucky to have the tree, which was well established when we moved in a couple of years ago. It drops some fruit during windy periods, however a lot stays on and starts to split, which I've read is when it should be harvested.
Any help or pointers to other websites would be greatly appreciated.

Snoop

Re: almonds: advice appreciated on harvesting and storage
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 14:43 »
If you look up harvesting, storing almonds in Google, you find a hit on the first page for a book by Perry and Sibbett available online as a Google book for review purposes. It gives good general advice that applies anywhere. As far as I can see, your only problem will be finding somewhere dry to dry the almonds before storing them.

garden elf

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 11:07 »
Thanks, Snoop - I'll check it out. In the meantime, I'm constructing a makeshift fortification to keep the rabbits off my lettuce!

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 11:10 »
For what its worth, my grandad had an almond tree years ago in Lincs. They seemed to ripen ready for harvesting around the October half term as I recall. He then laid them out in his garage to dry off fully before storing.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

moved
MOVED: Chillis - harvesting and storage

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 19, 2022, 17:30
by Yorkie
xx
Advice appreciated

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 13:14
by chris23005
xx
Advice on what to plant appreciated

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 07:47
by savbo
xx
Tiny garden plot - advice appreciated

Started by Mancmick on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 19:55
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 30 queries.