Plum / Damson Grafting.

• 4 Replies

Lardman

Plum / Damson Grafting.
« on: August 31, 2016, 10:18 »
Has anyone actually ever managed this ? I have 5 st Julian A rootstock.

I started the year with 5 saddle grafts onto them - All failed.
I put 5 chip buds (with wood) on them - All failed.
I put 5 chip buds (no wood) on the other side - 4 failed, number 5 is still attached but refuses to break bud or swell.

I've tried 2 with late T buds but with all the damage to the stems I think the root stocks are giving up.

Scion wood comes from 4 different trees, 3 yellow pershore plum and 1 shropshire prune damson, saddle grafts were done with last years growth the chip budding with this years.  As far as I can tell Im doing everything as I have with the apple trees where I get around 80% success rate.  :wacko:

What gives with plums ?!

Trikidiki

Re: Plum / Damson Grafting.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 22:56 »
I have had good success with my apple and pear grafting, the cherries haven't faired quite so well with about 30% success. Like you, the plum scions (the one's you sent me) failed on St Julian "A" rootstock, the rootstocks didn't reshoot which has happened on other fruits I have grafted so I was wondering if the rootstocks themselves had died rather than my grafts failing. Will try again next year.

I was thinking of buying some Krymsk rootstocks and trying some plums on them. I found with my apples that the majority of the failures were on one type of rootstock (B9) so maybe trying another rootstock might give success

I bought a couple of Pumiselect rootstocks and am hoping to propagate from them. The main intention is to try to  graft some peaches and apricots (which I had no success with this year for the couple I tried). I might try grafting a couple of plums onto them as well. It isn't sold as a rootstock for plums but some of the other rootstocks for stone fruits seem to be interchangeable.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 15:05 »
I considered incompatible root stocks but both varieties are available commercially on it. To be honest I didn't expect the saddles to take but I did expect the chip buds.  My root stocks were new 1 year old plants which I potted up, perhaps they needed a little time to establish ? If I had anything left to play with I'd try a side graft.

I have some growth on a few from below the graft points Im growing these on, the others I've buried in deep pots to hopefully get some suckers.

I was thinking of buying some Krymsk rootstocks and trying some plums on them.

I didn't like the price premium but more the fact it's patented  >:( . I've put some pixie in the basket and have a new bluet1t tree on order for a different scion source.  Im not sure pixie will come to anything as the apples on M26 are struggling to make 6ft in my sandpit, but at least I should get a graft to take.

I switched to 106 for apples last year but Im now wondering if I should have gone all the way to 111.  :unsure:

There's always the supermarket trees to play on in Feb I suppose.  :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 17:31 by Lardman »

Trikidiki

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 22:44 »

I was thinking of buying some Krymsk rootstocks and trying some plums on them.

I didn't like the price premium but more the fact it's patented  >:( . I've put some pixie in the basket and have a new bluet1t tree on order for a different scion source.  Im not sure pixie will come to anything as the apples on M26 are struggling to make 6ft in my sandpit, but at least I should get a graft to take.

My understanding is that the patent is only an issue if you are going to grow it commercially. You should be ok if you are doing it for your own use.

Bm1

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 22:31 »
Hi, just wondered how you have got on with your plum grafting?
I have 99% successfully grafted onto existing plum tree branches using the T-budding method using same season scion wood!
I know how frustrating and time consuming it is.
I started grafting sticks on apple trees with good success including pears but with plums, it’s a whole new ball game and T-budding it the way to go for me so far but I still have to wait as fruit buds don’t grow on one year wood 😔

xx
Grafting on a plum tree

Started by Bm1 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 12, 2023, 21:01
by Bm1
xx
plum/damson

Started by solway cropper on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 18, 2017, 19:31
by 8doubles
xx
Merryweather plum/damson

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 22:12
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
pigeons eating leaves of plum and damson trees

Started by jac wheeler on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2021, 19:49
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 29 queries.