my plot pics

• 11 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

my plot pics
« on: April 08, 2009, 20:11 »
OK - here are some pics of my plot
starting next to the track are strawbs, garlic & rhubarb in a corner
next are spuds behind the incinerator (still got maincrop & leeks to go in)
next are autumn rasps
then raised bed which is little'uns parmax & paris market carrots, nasturtiums & snips next to the raised bed is an asparagus patch - the jury is out as to whether they will shoot or not, they're in a lazy bed with sand & compost
behind that (netted ) are rows of beet, carrots, snips, chard & salsify
then is a bean teepee & MILs pear tree, next to which will be 2 rows of mangetoute
Under tarp at the back I hope to cover with weed supressing membrane and plant courgette & squash through into deep holes, with plenty of well rotted manure to retain moisture
At the end brambles and compost bin & rather untidy turf heap, which I'll cover with manure & a tarp to rot down
PHEW!! All done since November, 3/4 of the plot was covered with grass and weeds like it is now next to the tarp - so take heart if yours looks like mine did - 1 or 2 hours 2 or 3 times a week was all I put in, and not every week if it was really wet!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 20:13 by Janeymiddlewife »

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: my plot pics
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 20:20 »
Hi Janey Ive popped over here for you

Your netting looks great, cant wait till mines done (got waylaid tonight  :mad: )
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 20:24 »
Thanks peapod, followed DDs advice, but just need to fix the bottoms to batten when i've got 5 mins and level the ground at the edges as there's a few gaps for the carrot fly to get in!

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 20:28 »
Plot looks great - lots of hard work has gone into that for sure!  I'm jealous of your netting too.  I need to get some for my brassicas this year - learnt the lesson last year!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 20:45 »
That does look good! Have you got blossom on your pear tree ( Itried but couldn't see) OUrs cmae out yesterday and you're not far away
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 22:12 »
That does look good! Have you got blossom on your pear tree ( Itried but couldn't see) OUrs cmae out yesterday and you're not far away

Hi Sunshineband - I don't think it will do much this year - I transplanted it about 3 weeks ago. My MIL gave it to me - she'd had it for 5 years and although it had blossomed it never produced any fruit - not surprising really as it had no pollinator and was overshadowed by a much bigger tree. Think it's a comice, so if it doesn't do ,uch this year I'll have to look for a companion next year
#btw - where are you?

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 22:35 »

Your netting looks great, cant wait till mines done (got waylaid tonight  :mad: )
Thanks peapod, followed DDs advice, but just need to fix the bottoms to batten when i've got 5 mins and level the ground at the edges as there's a few gaps for the carrot fly to get in!
Mmm I agree with peapod, actually it all looks really good. Well done!
Could you post a link to DD's instructions for the netting thingy, please?  :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 22:37 »
We live in Reading over near Prospect Park. Maybe someone else on the site will have a pollinator -- ours is just a little too far away for most bees  :lol:

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 22:42 »
We live in Reading over near Prospect Park. Maybe someone else on the site will have a pollinator -- ours is just a little too far away for most bees  :lol:

I'm in Woodley, apparantly there are plans to install a few hives on the site, so we'll see if anything happens! I'll have to hunt round for pears on the site and ask if I can take a cutting for grafting - bit ambitious, but if it works might save buying another one

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 22:45 »
If you have plenty of space thena cutting would be OK - have a squint round to see what there is as maybe there will be a peartree nearby anyway. We have two (minarettes) a conferenec type and a  bon william crieghton - no fruit yet on this second one but lots of blossom this year.

Woodleys'not far  :)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 00:14 »

Here ya go

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=33695.0

woodburner

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 12:12 »

Ooh, neat tips. Thanks :)

Here ya go

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=33695.0

xx
2nd and 3rd day on plot! Pics :-)

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 18:03
by chippie295
xx
Some pics from Plot 98

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 21:42
by muddifoot
xx
Pics of my plot

Started by Fenland Girl on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post January 04, 2008, 17:48
by Fenland Girl
xx
My plot - a few pics

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 21:53
by spud

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 38 queries.