securing debris netting for the technically challenged! 3 questions

• 3 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

I have finally persuaded OH to come & help make covers for my seedlings to keep out carrot fly & to make some sort of cover for the raspberries & strawbs.

My question is how do we fix the netting to the hoops (blue 25mm water pipe)  to stop it slipping and flapping around?
&
What's the best way to suspend netting above raspberries (I have support wires & posts in place) and strawberries?
&
Can I use plastic bottles on bamboo sticks as supports? Bearing in mind it will need removing for picking (with any luck  :D )
Thanks
JMW

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
I have finally persuaded OH to come & help make covers for my seedlings to keep out carrot fly & to make some sort of cover for the raspberries & strawbs.

My question is how do we fix the netting to the hoops (blue 25mm water pipe)  to stop it slipping and flapping around?

Cable ties - the same as scaffolders use, quite cheap from a DIY store.

What's the best way to suspend netting above raspberries (I have support wires & posts in place) and strawberries?

The posts need to be taller than the raspberries, then just drape it between them. Likewise with the strawberries, bang in some supports so that they are about a foot high & then  drape the net over this. As it's quite heavy, it may not even need pegging down.

Can I use plastic bottles on bamboo sticks as supports? Bearing in mind it will need removing for picking (with any luck  :D )

Debris netting is very heavy. Bamboo may not cut the mustard! I use wooden battens approx 20mm x 40mm. You can get rough sawn, pre-treated ones from a DIY quite cheaply & cut to the size you need. The netting will sit quite happly on this without anything else on the batten as the net is very fine & really strong.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Janeymiddlewife

Thanks DD - you da man !!  8)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine

Cable ties - the same as scaffolders use, quite cheap from a DIY store.

The posts need to be taller than the raspberries, then just drape it between them. Likewise with the strawberries, bang in some supports so that they are about a foot high & then  drape the net over this. As it's quite heavy, it may not even need pegging down.

Debris netting is very heavy. Bamboo may not cut the mustard! I use wooden battens approx 20mm x 40mm. You can get rough sawn, pre-treated ones from a DIY quite cheaply & cut to the size you need. The netting will sit quite happly on this without anything else on the batten as the net is very fine & really strong.

DD, would the shade netting you can buy for greenhouses be suitable to keep out carrot fly, please?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Debris netting

Started by Goosegirl on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:00
by thedadtony
xx
Debris netting - again...?

Started by Growster... on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 19:30
by Growster...
xx
Building a cloche with my debris netting?

Started by vineweevil1 on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 22:36
by poultrygeist
xx
A few questions about netting, plastic sheets etc, from a newbie

Started by stee1e on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 17:52
by Elm street

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 36 queries.