Strawberry plants

• 15 Replies

roller

Strawberry plants
« on: March 20, 2007, 22:59 »
Hi all ,new member here.If the weather warms up a little do you think it will be safe to plant out some strawberry plants? obviously i'll give them a nice cosey mulch of straw..

muntjac

Strawberry plants
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 23:01 »
mid april mate . plant em 18 inch aprt on a mound .then mulch when the fruit flowers show  :wink:
still alive /............

WG.

Strawberry plants
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 23:07 »
Welcome to the site roller.  I missed your post until Munty's reply popped it back on top.

roller

Strawberry plants
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 23:13 »
I guess i'm getting itchy fingers,I just got my alottment last week ,can't wait to get back growing.I was a very keen veggie grower many years ago,had to stop due to that awefull thing called work..

Guys do we have spellcheck on this forum?,if not please forgive me i'm a terrible speller [dyslexic im affraid].. :D

muntjac

Strawberry plants
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 23:14 »
dont worry about the spellin im not dsylexic and cant gbe bothered to spell check mine they are used to me  so fear not .,.. but if you want to spell chceck one the other members can help ya

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Strawberry plants
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 08:04 »
Quote from: "roller"
I guess i'm getting itchy fingers,I just got my alottment last week ,can't wait to get back growing.I was a very keen veggie grower many years ago,had to stop due to that awefull thing called work..

Guys do we have spellcheck on this forum?,if not please forgive me i'm a terrible speller [dyslexic im affraid].. :D

Download the Google Toolbar...

http://toolbar.google.com

It has a spell checker that works for any online form that you are filling in.

Here's a spare one for you Munty - it only takes seconds and saves me pouring through my Suffolk/English dictionary.

http://toolbar.google.com

And welcome, of course.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Strawberry plants
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 09:56 »
the newest version of firefox also has a built-in spell checker.

Also, I thought strawberry plants required a cold snap to turn on their little production line? I'm sure that's what I've heard Monty Don say on Gardeners' World which is why you're suppose to plant in the autumn and leave'em out uncovered. I've never treated my strawberries to clocheing or cover and they seem fine. Always bounce back in spring with a healthy flush of new leaves and lots of berries later on.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

yummy

Strawberry plants
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 13:46 »
I was given some thinnings from the lady on the plot next door. She said to bung em straight in (weekend before last) so I did. Then the snow/frost came. I've put a bit of fleece on em but I'm dreading what I might find when I go back to the plot on Friday. First time for strawberries so will be learning from mistakes as usual.

Trillium

Strawberry plants
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 15:27 »
Strawberries are the original 'old boots' of the garden, Yummy. Plant them any time and they'll come through easily. They're smart enough not to flower before frost and will keep producing flowers through the growing season. Frost doesn't hurt the leaves at all so don't worry about them.  8)

CJ

Strawberries - too early to flower
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 10:32 »
I bought some small strawberry plants from the garden center and have them in my mini greenhouse - peeked at my treasures in there this morning and noticed one seemed to have a flower forming already  :o   Is this too early?   Any advice on what I should do next much appreciated. :?

muntjac

Strawberry plants
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 11:35 »
nip the flower off for now  :wink:

flowerpot

Strawberry plants
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 20:27 »
I planted 30 strawberry plants 2-3 weeks ago.They are really thriving, growing lots of new leaves. The question is, should I rip all the flowers off this season as some books seem to sugest, or can I leave them to bear fruit so we can have a good scoff. they are a mix of early, late and everbearing.

Bobby T

Strawberry plants
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 20:51 »
The pundits say take off flowers.
  You have enough plants to run a decent test.Why not try half with and half without?
  Please let us know at the end of season.   Bob

flowerpot

Strawberry plants
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 23:51 »
I think I'll try that - I don't think I could just rip them all off.

sclarke624

Strawberry plants
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 00:30 »
hiya
I notice Munty says to plant 18 inches apart, as do most of the books.  My hubby is determined to plant three of my strawberry plants in a hanging basket.  I know you can do this but I'm not sure how 'fruity they would be so close together like that.  So whats all you's opinion on growing strawberry in hanging baskets.  I have Cambridge favourite, Elsanta and Hapil, bought in pots from Wyevale.
ta
Sheila
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
Strawberry plants

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 31, 2014, 07:59
by Christine
xx
Old Strawberry Plants

Started by green gloves on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2020, 10:42
by JayG
xx
Strawberry plants - what to do with them?

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 10:56
by m1ckz
xx
Strawberry plants

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2015, 18:48
by mjg000

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 29 queries.