i am new and could do with a bit of advise please

• 8 Replies

Noreen

i am new and could do with a bit of advise please
« on: August 02, 2009, 16:03 »
Hi I am new to this site but have aproblem  This is the first year that i have had an allotement and enjoying every minute of it too. I am currently growning celeriac and cererly and have just noticed that some of the plants have started to flower.  Please tell me if this is correct or do i have to pull them like i would say rocket? Your replies would be very grateful  - Thanking you in advance Noreen

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: i am new and could do with a bit of advise please
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 17:10 »
Hi Noreen and welcome to the site  :D

I've not grown either of these so will pop you over to the Grow Your Own forum for answers from those who do know (I hope!)

Feel free to pop back into the Welcome forum and tell us a bit more about what you've been growing in your lotty  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

beansticks

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 17:15 »
I have not grown them either,but any veg that goes to flower is not going to get any better or bigger than it is now.When any plant goes to flower it is following it's natural life cycle.So i would say lift them,and use what you can.

Noreen

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 17:49 »
Hi Noreen and welcome to the site  :D

I've not grown either of these so will pop you over to the Grow Your Own forum for answers from those who do know (I hope!)

Feel free to pop back into the Welcome forum and tell us a bit more about what you've been growing in your lotty  :)

Thank you for your quick reply. As mentioned i am new and not sure where to post queries like this so any help is much appreicated.  From what i can gather looks like i am going to have to pull them which is really annoying as they are far from ready yet but will see what other replies i get am hoping someone will tell no thats ok but have a feeling thats not going to happen :(  I am growing tomatoes, spuds, lettuce, courgettes, beetroot, radish, spinach, carrots, artichokes, january cabbage and red cabbage though the red ones have been badly attached my sone kind of butterfly which had a real meal and some had to be pulled.  onions, garlic, a variety of herbs, and a selection of soft fruits as well as fruit trees.  I have plants a small cherry tree and plum tree this year but have had not fruit or any fruit from by blueberry bushes either so not sure if this is normal or if i am doing something wrong?? - well thats about it but it certainly keeps me busy but my garden is suffering now as i havent spent the time on that so starting on that now but have alot to do

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 17:50 »
If they have gone to flower in their first year, then they have bolted. This is not their natural cycle as they should flower in their second.

They won't do any good now, so have them up and use what you can, if anything.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Noreen

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 17:54 »
If they have gone to flower in their first year, then they have bolted. This is not their natural cycle as they should flower in their second.

They won't do any good now, so have them up and use what you can, if anything.

Thank you for the info whats bolted?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 18:00 »
Ooops sorry.

Means they have "run to seed" or flowered prematurely.

Dominic

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 11:10 »
I'd always wondered what bolted meant.

Fruit bushes take a while to get settled, trees even longer (a big tree takes over 10 years, but can produce 100kg of fruit a year by that time.).

I bought some three year old fruit bushes, and planted them 18 months ago.
My two Blackcurrants have produced about 750ml of black currants between, my red currant has produced about 2 litres on its own.
They all get bigger every year and produce a little bit more.  Give them a while, they're well worth it.
Blueberrys need chicken poo, or something else acidic.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Noreen

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 19:42 »
Ooops sorry.

Means they have "run to seed" or flowered prematurely.

Thanks for that i am new to all this terminology but hoping to pick it up as i go a long  ::)

xx
DD please can I have your advise ???

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 18:14
by flowergirl
xx
Little help and advise please.

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 15:07
by Aunt Sally
xx
Can anyone advise please?

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 06:56
by JulesJ
xx
what to sow now..please advise

Started by babyblue on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 13:09
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 37 queries.