weed killers

• 18 Replies

acer

Re: weed killers
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 09:21 »
seems  a mix of hand weeding or chemicals ,unfortunately  when i took over my plot last year it was shoulder high in thistles and as it totals around half an acre digging and hoeing was not really an option for me so it was a dose of glysophate which seemed to do the trick.i can understand those who steer clear of chemicals but in my case it was the only way as i have limited time i can spend on plot.

acer 8)

simonwatson

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 10:20 »
I don't believe there's a right or wrong way when it comes down to it. Some people choose to weed only by hand, some people (like me) use a mixed approach and some spray everything. The allotment is meant to be a fun hobby, not a daunting chore. Do what's best for you and enjoy yourself.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 13:07 »
Aye, to each their own.  I try to maintain an organic garden so I can avoid handling chemicals and keep carcinogens out of the local foodchain/environment to give the wildlife, my pets and family the best chance I can.  Probably a waste of effort since neighbours and farmers will spray as much as they like but what can you do?  :wacko:
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

simonwatson

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 14:23 »
I think the only weed killer actually mentioned by name here was glyphosate. It's slightly toxic to fish and amphibians (so I'm careful around the pond), but binds to soil and so won't get washed in even from short distances. It's non-toxic and non-carcinogenic as far as I'm aware. It's been noted that the surfactants used in industrial formulations are actually more poisonous than the stuff itself.

I too would avoid adding carcinogens to my veg/the food chain/the environment. And I do.

xx
Weed killers

Started by rsindigo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 18:57
by mumofstig
xx
weed killers

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 12:02
by savbo
xx
weed killers and there pitfalls

Started by NO GREEN FINGERS on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 17:29
by NO GREEN FINGERS
xx
biodgradeable weed killers

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 07:35
by Kirpi

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 32 queries.