Anyone knowledgeable about raspberries?

• 6 Replies

lsp12

Anyone knowledgeable about raspberries?
« on: March 28, 2009, 14:31 »
If so...I have a question for you ;)

I have recently started clearing my new allotment and found loads of raspberry cane cuttings which had been dumped there. A number of them are now budding and I am going to try and plant them.

I should be lucky if they were to thrive (and I would be happy to hear of your experiences in similar attempts) and I would like to know what type for raspberries they are: the canes are not similar to any I have seen before: brown/coppery with tiny spines (excuse my English...I was never learn much horticultural English.... till now :)

Thanks in advance for any pointer!
Laurence

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Anyone knowledgeable about raspberries?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 14:54 »
Not knowledgable about raspberries but think you will have to wait till they fruit before you know what they are.

In my limited experience you shouldn't have a problem getting them to take, I still get them coming up where they were years ago. Getting rid of them is the problem! I cut back my autumn fruiting ones a couple of years ago after fruiting. The cut stems were left in a corner over winter. The following summer I thought they would make good pea sticks and they sprouted!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 15:26 »
: the canes are not similar to any I have seen before: brown/coppery with tiny spines (excuse my English...I was never learn much horticultural English.... till now :)
Laurence

Sounds more like a japanese wineberry to me - bit of a novelty really you'd be better of getting a good variety of raspberry next autumn
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 16:04 »
: the canes are not similar to any I have seen before: brown/coppery with tiny spines (excuse my English...I was never learn much horticultural English.... till now :)
Laurence

Sounds more like a japanese wineberry to me - bit of a novelty really you'd be better of getting a good variety of raspberry next autumn
Actually one of my raspberry varieties is a bit prickly, but I don't know which of the three it is as I lost the labels. All of them are coppery brown though.  :blink: :unsure:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 17:35 »
Autumn Bliss are quite prickly

lsp12

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 11:03 »
Thanks to you all for your feedback! Sounds like I could be in for nice surprises either way... if not, well will do better next year ;)
Cheers Laurence

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 11:24 »
don't worry, laurence, you don't really need to do much to raspberries (not sure if it turns out to be a wineberry), they grow pretty much anywhere and in pretty much anything!
they only need a bout 5" (13cm) deep of soil as well, so you can put them in the random piece of ground that you can't get your fork into!
 :D
(but they do prefer sun and not too much wind)

xx
Raspberries

Started by simpson-allen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 31, 2012, 13:12
by JayG
xx
Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2024, 09:07
by Goosegirl
xx
Raspberries

Started by debbiedoll on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 17:27
by tode
clip
Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 17, 2014, 20:23
by 3 allotments

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 32 queries.