Garden Huckleberry

• 4 Replies

prakash_mib

Garden Huckleberry
« on: February 25, 2010, 11:30 »
Have you tried growing it?
In southen part of india (called manathakkali)  it is a delicacy and they eat cooked leaves or pickled unripe berries (pickling with yogurt and salt). they are of great taste and has a great medicinal value. whenever we get mouth ulcer my mum use to say chew some fresh leaves of this and it works majic.
Last year When I Was weeding my allotment I saw couple of these plants in our allotment but didnt eat it. I've got good seeds for this year and probably will try.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

prakash_mib

Re: Garden Huckleberry
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:38 »
The reason I didnt eat is they are from solanacae family (tomato,potato... ) which has toxins and some are more toxic. Did a bit of research that there is one toxic plant called deadly nightshade (surely named by american... probably in hollywood) and the other is garden huckleberry.
the finest difference I can note is deadly nightshade has purple flowers and
garden huckleberry (modest english name) has white flowers (about the size of a floret from groun elder).
the leaves are bit different as well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:40 by prakash_mib »

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 20:30 »
Interesting, i`ve seen a few plants which i thought were nightshade and removed. I will pay more attention next time and see what colour the flowers are.

That is if the birds decide to `plant' some more for me. :)

prakash_mib

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 21:36 »
In india ripe berry is hardly used anywhere. The leaves are cooked (stir fry method) and if you have gastro some problem it is very good and it has medicinal properties (but please do your own research. i am no doctor).
The green berries are picked and pickled with yogurt and salt fermented for couple of days and eaten. Tastes heavenly.
after a week the pickle (if you have large quantities) is dried out in the sun (  :tongue2: which we get a lot) and stored for later to shallow fry and eat.

And lastly thanks for the info. I think we dont need to make any effort as last year i had couple of plants in allotment grew without any attention and
the strangest point of all

"IT DIDN'T EVEN FLINCH A BIT FOR ROUNDUP. HAPPYLY GREW EVEN AFTER 4 APPLICATION. THATS ONE HELL OF A PLANT"
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 21:39 by prakash_mib »

prakash_mib

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 16:53 »
Just finishing this topic off by saying the results.

The pickled berries first lot was fungussed off (if thats the word)
second lot kept in fridge took time to marinade and it is now in edible state. (very bitter when eaten fresh).
third lot is gonna be pickled tonight.
Yesterday I pulled three plants from root and picked all the leaves to cook them with mung bean (split yellow) and it tasted heavenly. my 4 year old had a good bowl of it... Just like his daddy!!  :D

xx
Garden Huckleberry (annual; Solanaceous) anyone tried growing it?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 17, 2022, 19:20
by Subversive_plot
xx
Huckleberry

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 21:46
by Yorkie
xx
I've got a damp patch for thimbleberry and huckleberry?

Started by japagow on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 19:39
by realfood
xx
what are you doing in the garden now??

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post January 07, 2010, 09:27
by Bobby

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 35 queries.