Minarette Fruit Trees

• 9 Replies

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
Minarette Fruit Trees
« on: May 07, 2010, 19:31 »
I searched the archive and there were a few few people mentioning they were trying these, just wondered how they were doing?

We have a gap in the garden that would suit something a couple of feet wide and I'm quite tempted by a pear or cherry minarette - they had cherry 'stella' in the local garden centre today.

I can't find any pictures of what they look like after a couple of years. All the online shops have the same photo that look like a poles with fake apples tied to. Do they really stay narrow to quite that extreme?

DavidT

Re: Minarette Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 20:00 »
Tam, they are well worth it as long as you prune them correctly. That is the secret, you keep them about a foot wide. If you buy one, tell the assistant you want a pruning guide. :D

Spana

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 20:12 »
I had one in my last house, a conference pear.  It was fabulous.  :)

I think the idea is to keep them small but I let the leader grow and it went up about 6ft, along a rope about 8ft then over an arch.  I pruned everything back each year so that all it had were spurs all along the main stem.  It looked wonderful in blossom and was laden with pears every year.

I have standard pear trees now but they dont fruit like that one.  Give it ago :)

DavidT

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 20:19 »
Spana, you can let them grow as tall as you wish, it`s the side pruning which counts. :D

NickyG

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 15:28 »
I was reading about Minarette Fruit Trees but not sure what they are.  I have seen when visiting National Trust Gardens and places Apple Trees that are grown on a frame so they are not too high but are trained along poles or wires I think so they have just a few branches.

Can anyone advise if this is hard to do and can you train any varieties that way or do they have to be a special kind.  I would like to do this on my allotment so that the trees do not get to big or is it better to just keep a small bush variety and keep it pruned well.

I am a complete novice when it comes to fruit trees so any advice welcome :unsure:

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 18:03 »
I've got a long row of fruit bushes and am planning on filling in the spaces with these but they do appear to be quite pricey for what you get!
Anyone know of  good supplier who doesn't charge the earth?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 22:31 »
It might be worth double checking your terminology before you start ordering anything.

Minarette trees are single column trees, whereas the ones which have horizontal branches on wires are cordon trees.  The low-ones are often called step-over cordons.

I suspect that part of the trick of either is the rootstock.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

kittiwake

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 08:20 »
I bought several minarette trees a few years ago, a cherry, plum and apple and have since bought a pear. The plum died fom canker but the cherry, pear and apple are yielding lots of fruit. They are grafted on dwarf rootstock to keep them small and mine grow in large pots and get bonemeal feed everyso often.

I got mine from ken muir ( http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/index.php/trees/minarette-fruit-trees.html )and they have proved to be well worth the cost. They even do trees with more than one variety on the same tree if you cant make up your mind. Pruning isnt too difficult and they dont grown that quickly.

Kitti

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:00 »
Thanks Kitty will have a look now. Am I right in thinking autumn would be okay to plant them?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 17:57 »
Autumn would be fine  :D

xx
Minarette apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 18:05
by ACatCalledElvis
xx
Neglected minarette apple trees

Started by SouP on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 07:51
by SouP
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross

Page created in 0.761 seconds with 28 queries.