No trusses forming, Gardeners Delight, any help VERY much appreciated

• 31 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
I'm not familiar with the product (nor am I that familiar with fertilisers!!), but can you look at its label for where it gives the ratio of N:P:K, something like 2.3 - 7 - 23, or 7 - 7 - 7, or 0 - 15 - 8 (you get the gist, it's three numbers in a row).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Sam Dodd

I'm not familiar with the product (nor am I that familiar with fertilisers!!), but can you look at its label for where it gives the ratio of N:P:K, something like 2.3 - 7 - 23, or 7 - 7 - 7, or 0 - 15 - 8 (you get the gist, it's three numbers in a row).

Oh it's pure phosphorus - no N or K at all! I just hung the silver blanket, fingers crossed...
IMG-20200621-WA0014.jpeg

Sam Dodd

Well you'll never believe this but I just found a truss on each of five plants! Right near the top - none on the thick main stem yet - BUT THERE ARE TRUSSES! On five out of the nine plants! Pic attached
IMG-20200621-WA0018.jpeg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Wahey!  :lol:

I'd probably avoid the phosphorus for now - it's mainly aimed at roots rather than leaves or flowers/fruits.

Once the first truss has set, i.e. you have little green tomatoes forming, you can switch to tomato (highest nunber is K) fertiliser.

Sam Dodd

Wahey!  :lol:

I'd probably avoid the phosphorus for now - it's mainly aimed at roots rather than leaves or flowers/fruits.

Once the first truss has set, i.e. you have little green tomatoes forming, you can switch to tomato (highest nunber is K) fertiliser.

Oh dear I thought 'set' meant formed, as in 'has appeared' so I fertilised with tomato feed today as per pack instructions. *. Well I hope that doesn't mess things up but will cross my fingers. The foil is very noisy in the wind hah but maybe that'll help too.

Thanks SO MUCH for all your help and encouragement, plus everyone else on here who has been lovely too, watch this space! Will post pics of various stages in time...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Don't worry too much about it! The tomatoes will survive  :)

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Looking at the photos, the masonry wall is blocking some light.  As soon as those plants grow taller, and increase sun on the leaves, they will develop the trusses you are waiting for.  You may be able to speed that up if you can elevate the pots they are growing in.

Otherwise, your plants look fantastic.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Sam Dodd

Looking at the photos, the masonry wall is blocking some light.  As soon as those plants grow taller, and increase sun on the leaves, they will develop the trusses you are waiting for.  You may be able to speed that up if you can elevate the pots they are growing in.

Otherwise, your plants look fantastic.

Thanks so much for the lovely compliment. Yes that wall is a pain in the backside. The thing with elevating tho is that there's the ceiling above so whatever ends up nearer the top will also be cut off - haha can't win! But I'll try it. Thanks so much

Sam Dodd

Update: all plants got trusses! The flowers were setting well, and one plant started producing tiny green toms, so I was over the moon. However, then freezing winds and lack of sun hit, after a particularly hot spell, so unfortunately several plants have dropped blossoms without setting toms, which I'm devastated about. BUT, one plant is still doing well. So it's not the end of the world  :nowink:

Fairy Plotmother

I suspect patience will reap rewards.

I agree! I know! Patience with growing veg or flowers is not one of my virtues. I haven't any trusses on my gardeners delight either and they are in full sun! I have learned (the hard way) that too much fiddling, care and attention is bad for the garden. the foil curtain is a good idea.... and give them another week or 10 days and I'm sure they'll produce. Good luck

Sam Dodd

Current status  :) :) :) ::)
20200704_103840.jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
It may take a while for them to ripen, but be patient.

Sam Dodd

Update! Very happy with development. Hope everyone else's crops are going well!
IMG-20200712-WA0010.jpeg
IMG-20200712-WA0005.jpeg
IMG-20200712-WA0003.jpeg
IMG-20200712-WA0002.jpeg
IMG-20200712-WA0015.jpeg

Jomodu

May be an old wives tale but I was always told NOT to take ogg side shoots of Gardener’s Delight tom plants - just to let them grow. I know Monty Don has said this as well. No expert but could this be a reason?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Here in this article Monty confirms that GDelight is a cordon
'Gardener's Delight' and 'Shirley' are cordons
and earlier in the text says that cordons
…. need supporting from almost the first and it is normal to remove all sideshoots ...
  https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2001/sep/09/gardens

xx
gardeners delight

Started by trekkles on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2021, 23:24
by al78
xx
gardeners delight

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 14:01
by casper
xx
Gardeners delight

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2016, 12:17
by Salmo
xx
tomato gardeners delight

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 15:30
by drmoonshine

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 54 queries.