What a racket!

• 4 Replies

Cluckyclaire

What a racket!
« on: March 24, 2012, 18:33 »
 :lol: Martha my gold lace Orpington (23 weeks old) has just finished a 5 minute racket before following the other two into the coop for the night it kind of went 7 clucks and one long higher pitched cluck but not a crow if that makes sense, of course I have heard that hens often announce an egg lay but alas have not found any yet! What was all the noise about? Oh my don't say they are all going to start doing that! The other two are nowhere near as vocal....yet? Any advice appreciated, is she just maturing? Have noticed she is top girl as far as pecking order and tells the other two off now and again, cheers all

Claire  :)

Ps. How nice was the weather today!  :D

helens-hens

Re: What a racket!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 08:58 »
Mine make this noise occasionally if they have just layed or more often when they find themselves alone (I only have 2 at the moment so this may happen say if 1 is in the nest box and the other then makes this 'call' when they find themselves alone in the garden).

It is loud and I cringe when I hear it because of the neighbours! I do find if you go out toi them they generally stop though.
Helen

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 10:09 »
If it sounded like bok bok bok, she will be looking for the the others as she has just discovered they are not there. They can also do it if they have been spooked by something like a crow flying over taking them by surprise

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 10:16 »
Mine often do that especially when they are looking for top spot in the coop.
If she is top chick, she is probably letting the others know she gets top spot :D

Happens often when there is a traffic jam getting in to the coop at night. Especially when Gatty the creamlegbar settles in her favourite space just in the doorway before the others are in ::) She is the biggest girl, not top chick, but large and once she gets there they all have to climb over her head, 'cos she sure as eggs are eggs. ain't gonna move :D

I have 10 and there is often one shouting her beak off. They are just having an argument.

My white leghorn, Tizzy often goes into one at the least annoyance..... someone in her spot in the nest box, my opening the nestbox when she is in there, my trying to pick her up,someone in her way at the feedbowl or just because it is Sunday :wacko: :wacko:

Strange thing was she has had a mucky bum for a while and I bit the bullet spent a merry half hour cornering her, and then put her rear end into a bowl of warm water to clean her up. I was ready for ructions, scratching, yelling and blow me down she just sat there quieter than a mouse until she was a clean  girl again ??? should dunk her bum in warm water more regularly if it quietens down. She ha s been much quieter since then :nowink:

The real fun is when 2 or more of them are having a ruck :wacko:
Luckily none of the neighbours have complained, touch wood. Think they quite like having a character out of the good life nearby. They also get to buy really fresh eggs too :D

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 10:47 »
Ah cheers all, have noticed she is not normally last one into the coop so maybe that was what the noise was about, was concerned as don't want to annoy neighbours, mine are yet to lay any eggs so can't even use that as a softener! It is funny when one decides to plonk themselves in the coop doorway, Ella tried it but Martha soon moved her on, it's interesting watching them interact and establishing their order, have a good day all!

Claire  :)

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 29 queries.