Broad beans twice?

• 21 Replies

lancashiregardeninggal

Re: Broad beans twice?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 10:21 »
I sowed some broad beans about 3 weeks ago and have also cut some down a bit (as a bit of an experiment as I've never grown beans so late) - time will tell I guess :D
'Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream'........Edgar Allan Poe

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 20:45 »
Just to update on this :)

Well I have got a second crop of beans, but was it worth it?...A resounding no :(......barely enough for a serving or two :nowink:

Still,if you dont try these things for yourself you dont find out,but it was suggested that the yield might not be great....nothing lost as I still had enough space for leeks and purple sprouting to go in despite leaving the beans in place.. :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 21:11 »
Just to update on this :)

Well I have got a second crop of beans, but was it worth it?...A resounding no :(......barely enough for a serving or two :nowink:

Still,if you dont try these things for yourself you dont find out,but it was suggested that the yield might not be great....nothing lost as I still had enough space for leeks and purple sprouting to go in despite leaving the beans in place.. :lol:

Now that's my sort of response Raders! I always try and buck the trend and do what I want, or feel should work, although advice is always some sort of equilibrium for the wonderings!

I'd have done the same as you, but we ran out of room, and there are carrots just waiting to be pencilled up soon...

Good try there - don't ever give up on doing these things. We planted eight toms well before the last frost this year, and they have been utterly fantastic, with the best fruits we've ever seen? They're huge!

Do the same next year, and beat the trend eh...?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 10:54 »
We planted eight toms well before the last frost this year, and they have been utterly fantastic, with the best fruits we've ever seen? They're huge!

Do the same next year, and beat the trend eh...?

... did we not have a really warm spring this year?  Next year it might be snowing instead ...  :tongue2:

Glad you got a great harvest Growster  :D - my experience is that sometimes you take a chance and it may work out a lot better than expected, but the weather is so unpredictable that it doesn't always work every year.

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 19:56 »
Thanks Babbyann!

We've got a bit of a nervous twitch round here with some suspected blight...

I've been spraying, but still have fingers crossed pretty tightly!

Lizum

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 00:57 »
I thought I'd lost my crop to black bean aphid (again) but imagine my surprise after coming back to the plot after a couple of weeks away and finding big bean pods!

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 07:16 »
Always a big tick in the box that Lizum (perhaps not, when a tick is very like an aphid...), Welld one there!

but we've had some sort of surprise. The good news is that the second row of carrots seems to have avoided the fly, the bad news is thatsome of them are a bit octopussy, but the fingers are huge, so I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

We had to get them into soil which had only been dug, and had very little humus because the plot was so new.

Great time of year though.

xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg
xx
Why do some broad beans have big pods but no beans?

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:40
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 35 queries.