Fruit Trees Help

• 8 Replies

hereshoping

Fruit Trees Help
« on: January 22, 2012, 17:01 »
Hi,
I have a few questions regarding our fruit trees/bushes as we have turned half of our plot into a fruit 'orchard'

* I have Pear and Apple trees that thrived last year, however we only took the plot over in April so we have never had the plot over winter, do I need to do anything to them? They resemble sticks at the moment! I want them to do as well this year as they did last!

* I planted a Raspberry, Blackberry and Blackcurrnt and Gooseberry bushes in the ground around Sept/Oct time last year (2011) Do I need to do anything with them? The man who sold me them (in the nursery) said I should split the Raspberry tree in to 6 and then replant but I didnt do it, how do I go about  doing that or is it too late? The plot holder next to me, has loads of raspberrys in his plot and thats what I want this year!!! Do you think I will get fruit off the above THIS year?

* Is there any other fruit trees/bushes I could plant now that would fruit this year, got lots of space left and want fruit out of the allotment more than I want veg!

Thanks for your advice,

Helen

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Fruit Trees Help
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 17:40 »
If you are going to prune the apple and pear trees, now is the time to do it.  Google pruning for advice.

Raspberries are canes, not trees.  If you were sold a clump of them then they should have been separated before planting.  I am not an expert on raspberries but I would advise digging them up and separating.  They will need pruning but that depends on whether they are autumn or summer fruiting - do you know what variety or, at least, when they fruit?

Loganberries or tayberries need to grow along long wires but are very productive.  It may take a year or two to get up to speed.  Sometimes you just have to be patient!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Living in Hope

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 17:59 »
If you have the space what about plums, damsons or a quince. Depending on your soil etc. what about blueberries? Do you have some rhubarb? Strawberries?

gobs

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 19:32 »
* I have Pear and Apple trees that thrived last year, however we only took the plot over in April so we have never had the plot over winter, do I need to do anything to them? They resemble sticks at the moment! I want them to do as well this year as they did last!

Pruning would spring to mind. Get a book.

* I planted a Raspberry, Blackberry and Blackcurrnt and Gooseberry bushes in the ground around Sept/Oct time last year (2011) Do I need to do anything with them? The man who sold me them (in the nursery) said I should split the Raspberry tree in to 6 and then replant but I didnt do it, how do I go about  doing that or is it too late? The plot holder next to me, has loads of raspberrys in his plot and thats what I want this year!!! Do you think I will get fruit off the above THIS year?

There is no raspberry tree, you really need to read up if wanting to grow fruit.

No, it's not late to separate them, get on with it when ground is not frosty, wherever you are. Putting in your location, would help folks with advice.

* Is there any other fruit trees/bushes I could plant now that would fruit this year, got lots of space left and want fruit out of the allotment more than I want veg!

Plenty, depending on the size of your purse. You can plant just about anything that will fruit this year, it's just gonna cost you a bit more.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 19:52 by gobs »
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

kegs

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 10:40 »

Pruning would spring to mind. Get a book.

* I planted a Raspberry, Blackberry and Blackcurrnt and Gooseberry bushes in the ground around Sept/Oct time last year (2011) Do I need to do anything with them? The man who sold me them (in the nursery) said I should split the Raspberry tree in to 6 and then replant but I didnt do it, how do I go about  doing that or is it too late? The plot holder next to me, has loads of raspberrys in his plot and thats what I want this year!!! Do you think I will get fruit off the above THIS year?

There is no raspberry tree, you really need to read up if wanting to grow fruit.

No, it's not late to separate them, get on with it when ground is not frosty, wherever you are. Putting in your location, would help folks with advice.

Plenty, depending on the size of your purse. You can plant just about anything that will fruit this year, it's just gonna cost you a bit more.

Sorry, but I think that was a bit rude and unhelpful.  'Hereshoping' was only asking for some advice - not sarcasm.

stompy

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 11:13 »
 :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:27 by stompy »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:47 »
              Well I tend to agree with gobs replies, although my knowledge of the English language is probably better than hers.

• Pruning would spring to mind. Get a book.

• There is no raspberry tree, you really need to read up if wanting to grow fruit.

• Plenty, depending on the size of your purse. You can plant just about anything that will fruit this year, it's just gonna cost you a bit more.

Sorry, but I think that was a bit rude and unhelpful.  'Hereshoping' was only asking for some advice - not sarcasm.

• Apple pruning is a very skilled art.  If you have three years to spare you could learn to be a very acomplished apple tree pruner, (I only did it for two years while working in horticulture so would not attempt to advise).  Getting a book about pruning would be a very good start.  Advice given here would be incomplete to say the least.

• Indeed there is no such thing as a raspberry tree and now is a good time to tidy up your raspberry canes and move the ones that have spread out of your row to a new position or replant any that have not been planted correctly.

• Cost is a consideration when buying fruit plants.  Any that are ready to fruit this year will probably be larger container grown plants and therefore more expensive.  Taking cuttings is free but will take a two or three years before any apreciable crop is produced.

You must teach me some Hungarian gobs.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 12:20 »
You need some sort of protection for the berries - I netted mine last year and the birds just landed on top and ate them though the netting - have built a fruit cage this year ,, looking aroung my allotment it seems that is the best solution.

hereshoping

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 23:04 »
Thank you so much for your advice.
I will go to the library again and get some books on pruning the apple and pear trees.
I will also think about putting cages around the fruit, a great idea that others in my allotment have done thank you for reminding me.
I will also seperate the raspberry canes, thank you once again for letting me know I can still do that.
So much to learn!!  :tongue2:

xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 30 queries.