Hi all - Newbie who needs some help!

• 4 Replies

Chookster

• Experienced Member
Hi all - Newbie who needs some help!
« on: April 04, 2009, 09:19 »
Hi everyone, seems Spring is finally here for real and it's nice to see the chickens enjoying a bit of sun :D

Anyway, I work for a museum and over the winter have created a war time garden to include some hens.  We are a charity and I have managed to have two separate hens donated to date.  They are great characthers, very different to each other!  I just wanted to make sure they both sound ok as I have one or two minor concerns...

My first hen is lovely and docile and possibly orpington buff but she has been with me for nearly a month now and shows no sign of laying.  Apparently she is 2 or 3 yrs.  She 'acts' old and stands around in a puffball a lot although she is active at the same time in that she explores and eats but she is also a lot lighter than the other younger bird.

Bird two is ex-farm shop where they appeared to be just over a square foot per bird.  From her bottom to right underneath has no feathers and is chapped looking - she lays every day except one so far (a sit on lawn mower scared her, the next day she produced a thin egg and it was pecked by first bird which further upset her so nothing the next day).  I know the feathers will take a while to grow back but although she has big and healthy poos (thank you Aunt Sally for the pics - was a real help!) she also has what looks like white diarrea leaking from her.  She appears very healthy and fiesty and protects both of them from any cats and shows no sign of feeling ill.

Any advice would be greatly recieved! (sorry for long message)

Amanda  8)

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Re: Hi all - Newbie who needs some help!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 09:55 »
Hello Chookster,
Welcome to the Forum.
Some one more in the know will come along to answer your chicken question, I'm sure.
I'm interested in your war-time garden.... which museum are you at? 
My Grandparents continued with their "war-time" garden until they were well into their 80's, so I have a nostalgic spot in me.
cathangirl

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:23 »
Hi there, thanks for the welcome  :blush:  I'm a volunteer at the Kent Battle of Britain Museum in Hawkinge near Folkestone in Kent.  We open for the season on Good Friday so not many days to go now!! Bit nervous about it but I'm sure it'll be fine.  The museum is based obviously on the Battle of Britain which took place during 1940, it has 6 buildings and takes on average 2hs to go round.  It's different to other museums in that there's a lot of planes etc but there's a lot more in the way of interesting stories about the actual people/pilots etc.  I love it, it's the best job I've ever had - AND I get to keep chickens (sneaky eh  :tongue2:) www.kbobm.org for info although the garden and chickens aren't on the website as yet.

Looking forward to my next delicious eggs!

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:59 »
The first hen (orpington?) sounds a bit under the weather. 2 or 3 is not old in chicken terms,  being "fluffed up" usually indicates a bird is feeling unwell.
Some questions first, have you checked for any lice? have they been wormed?
If she is light check her crop first thing in the morning before she has eaten anything. It should be more or less empty, of not could indicate a crop problem.
The hen with a bald abdomen, if she is laying well then all of her nutrition is going into laying and not growing feathers. Poultry Spice in their food will help plus a little extra protein in the form of tinned kitten food will help, or mix chick crumb with chopped egg as a little treat. Mix a teaspoon of codliver oil into the cat food or chick crumb with egg once a week.
To help keep their digestion heathly add Apple Cider Vinegar to their drinking water daily, this is available from most good feed stores.
Hope this helps, and keep us posted!

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 17:04 »
thanks for that, that'll keep me busy for a bit plus the museum opens on friday where they live.  I'm not 100% but I think she actually laid an egg today! I will have to see what happens tomorrow.  She was 'laying' for a while and a little reluctant to move and about an hour or so when i went back there was an egg where she was.  HOwever, when she saw me carry it away for my enjoyment she chased me!! Poor love, either she was sitting on someone else's egg or she is a pecker!

Aren't they endlessly fascinating  :blush:

xx
newbie: how can i get them to eat?

Started by rebecca.smiles on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 00:28
by penninehillbilly
xx

Started by Suzybat on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 22:03
by Suzybat
xx

Started by mpv1961 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 13:16
by Jeanette
xx
Newbie!

Started by clairebeau on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 20:48
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 35 queries.