What potatoes are you growing for the autumn/winter????

• 8 Replies

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
I wanted to ask for Christmas really, but I don't want to come across as looking forward to Christmas too much....... :lol:  :lol:  which I am by the way as I've a feeling this year might be the best ever as I'm growing food :D !

These would probably be maincrop.

Anyway, what varieties are you growing? Is there one that's a good all rounder - for boiling, mashing, chipping, roasting and good in stews/soups etc as well as for salad? Or are potatoes pretty much fairly easy to grow, provided they're not susceptible to disease?

I might as well come clean and admit it - I've gone and ordered 2 packs (6)  :shock: :shock:  :shock:  of potato planters and I'm guessing I could plant 2 or 3 easy varieties. I'm planning at least a red and a white variety and if possible some new potatoes, if there's a variety to be planted in July/August. What exactly are new potatoes anyway? Are they just little ones that will grow big if given a chance, or are they a variety in their own right?

So please, do share!!!

I'll blame the *impulse* buying on night shift  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

Editing to add this link for seed potatoes, lest I lose it and can't find it!

http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.uk/potatoes.html
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

WG.

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 06:13 »
How big is your greenhouse / polytunnel?  First frost will kill potatoes.

diggerjoe

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 08:41 »
talking potatoes -well you never know perhaps one day :lol:  Has anyone else gone mad and spent money on those micro propogation potatoes? I have two lots that will be going out in the garden not the lottie ( far too expensive to be exposed to new lottie) one variety is called mr yelthoms little gypsy or something like that which is a blue potato and the other is a heritage red on which my brain rfuses to come up with the name for - must be all the damp weather in my circuits - I am not sure what to expect and wonder if this is an expensive mistake :?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 09:04 »
Did it last year, would'nt bother again, you get loads of top growth with very little reward.
edit: the other problem is you cant really give the greenhouse a good clean or sterilize it whilst your growing.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 13:59 »
I've only got my Desiree for maincrop potatoes, and 2 lots of earlies, so I ran out of allotted space.  the Desiree I had left over, I planted in big pots or the plastic bags we get the chhok feed in.  Only problem was, I forgot to make drainage holes in the bags and one potato drowned!!  But now they've got slits in the others look okay.

I will just save some of my Ulster Chieftain and Duke of York and perhaps a couple of early diggings of Desiree to plant again for Christmas.  Hope they do better this year than last.  I may put them in the polytunnel in their pots as the greenhouses got wrecked with the wind last year and they destroyed my Christmas potatoes.

jacnal

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 16:14 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
How big is your greenhouse / polytunnel?  First frost will kill potatoes.

I'm yet to get a green house. Dang, didn't think about that when planning. Well, I've been planning to get for the end of year. Didn't know potatoes were frost damaged  :oops:

If I plant in the planters, surely I could put them into the shed, so long as there's enough light and ventilation?

Are there winter varieties resistant to frost at all?

WG.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 16:18 »
Quote from: "jacnal"
Nope, sorry.

jacnal

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 16:38 »
Blue coloured potato? Here's to wishing it yields for you Digger Joe!

Aidy - I've no green house yet. My shed's a good size, and it's got loads of light and air. Plus (I'm guessing) I could move the planters if need be? Frost - pah!

So, do people generally plant and reap their potato crops when the weather is still warm?

Grannie, I'm still getting my head around earlies, 2nd earlies and maincrop..... I suppose I've hope in that you say you're planning to plant some for Christmas from what you're waiting to harvest still! Will these maincrop too? Glad now I bought the planters - planting outside would've been a disaster with frost, it seems.......

jacnal

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 16:43 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "jacnal"
Nope, sorry.

D'oh!

WG, I've bought fleece, and surely the fact I'm growing in planters is good so I can make them cosy easily. I know in winter even the shed/greenhouse get's cold (I've not even thought of heating yet), so I could wrap them warm in fleece - couldn't I?  :roll:  I'll give that a try.

xx
Growing Potatoes Over Winter

Started by Bethslosttheplot on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 21:32
by Iain@JBA
xx
When and What veg for autumn/winter ?

Started by mrspodington on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2007, 14:50
by Aidy
xx
AUTUMN/WINTER PROJECTS....

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 30, 2015, 09:22
by surbie100
xx
What are your autumn and winter plans?

Started by spiritofold on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post October 04, 2006, 10:19
by lisa

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 33 queries.