When and What veg for autumn/winter ?

• 5 Replies

mrspodington

« on: June 21, 2007, 09:53 »
Right here I am again it's my first year and I'm really getting into this grow your own thingy.

All my salad veg/fruit are going strong and looking great ( apart from the sweet banan peppers but thats another post ).

So what I want to know now is
a) what can I grow for autumn/winter veg.
b)when should I start to grow.

I have a small garden and everything has to be able to grow in pots or containers, I also have a 9 year old who is taking an intrest so something easy for him would be great along with him I have a 10 month old so anything I grow needs to relativly easy and not overly time consuming due to my lack of it lol. I dont mind putting in some some work but dont think I can find my 26th hour of the day  :lol:

Thanks Vikki.
First year growing, so far, so good.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 11:50 »
The main problem is most of the winter/spring veg tends to be brassica's, ie spring cabbage, sprouting broccoli and they dont lend themself to well too containers, one veg that does spring  :wink:  to mind is dwarf curly kale, I would be suprised if it does'nt do well and you can get green and purple. I am sure other people would suggest veg. You can start sowing now ready to transplant mid summer. oooh just thought, white lisbon spring onions, make sure they are the winter hardy ones, I always grow these as a fresh supply of onion through out the winter.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 12:44 »
There is also winter lettuce, sweed and you could even try leeks.
Paul

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 13:32 »
Aidy thats interesting about the white lisbon spring onions.  I have grown them this year for the summer.  Last week I thought nothing to lose will put some more seeds in.  Do they still grow for winter then?  Are there Winter and spring varieties within the White lisbon brand/kind wotever the word is.  I bought mine in a salad pack so not much info on packet.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

mrspodington

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 14:25 »
I am also growing spring onoion white lisbon this summer didn't realise you could do them in winter too.

I have been looking on ebay and they have some mini cauliflower and carrots and such would they be ok in containers do you think, I might just give them a go nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 14:50 »
Parmex carrots (round ones) are great for the container, never tried over winter, if could take them in if it gets bad they may work. There are a couple of different types of white lisbon, summer ones and the winter bunching types, its these you need although what have you got to lose by sowing the others, I normally sow mine for winter towards the end of august so by the time they are growing hopefully the fly has gone.
here's the T&M link http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/528/3

xx
Autumn ? Winter sowing??

Started by petersson on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 05:39
by DD.
xx
AUTUMN/WINTER PROJECTS....

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 30, 2015, 09:22
by surbie100
xx
Autumn/winter brassicas

Started by alanb on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 12:34
by alanb
xx
What are your autumn and winter plans?

Started by spiritofold on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post October 04, 2006, 10:19
by lisa

Page created in 0.555 seconds with 37 queries.