preparing chalky soil for veg

• 3 Replies

puffinstuff

« on: October 05, 2008, 10:26 »
Hi folks,
I'm trying to prepare the front garden for planting veg but there is some heavy orangy clay soil which i'm not sure if i need to dig out or jsut cover with compost which i've got quite a bit of. The clay is as a result of some footings that where dug for an extension and was brought to the surface.  There is some topsiol on the land as well.  Any advice would be useful.

puffinstuff

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 10:56 »
The orangey clay stuff will be sub-soil, which has no nutrients in it and in which plants will not thrive without you vastly improving the soil - with lots of organic matter.

If you can avoid the clay, do so.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 11:15 »
Don't take my word for it as I am a novice in the veg world but I had been told that heavy clay soil is actually generally high in nutrients as they tend not to get washed out (mainly as the drainage is terrible which is a different story!). The problem is it's a blooming nightmare to work with in terms of digging and planting and it waterlogs when it chucks it down and bakes to concrete when it is hot. You will need to dig in loads of compost plus maybe some sand to improve the texture and draainage. Raised beds can help all this a lot.

Guess what type of soil I have :oops:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 20:10 »
Kate, you're right that clay-based topsoil does retain nutrients far better than a chalky or sandy soil which is more free-draining.

However, the fact that the clay in question is orange, and also that it was brought to the surface when extension footings were dug, makes me think that this isn't topsoil.

I agree with the raised beds suggestion (I never think of them  :) )

xx
Preparing soil

Started by nicklord1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 11:40
by peapod
xx
Preparing soil again ?

Started by nicklord1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 19:41
by peapod
xx
sweetcorn - preparing the soil

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 17:15
by Goosegirl
question
Preparing soil for carrots

Started by Lottie Mary on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 20:13
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 31 queries.