Raspberry question

• 2 Replies

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
Raspberry question
« on: May 21, 2014, 14:46 »
Helloooo  :) Planted 2 rows of raspberries (1 summer fruiting and 1 autumn fruiting) late last year. All the canes have sprouted but growth is very slow, only reaching a foot high and less in most cases. Some shoots have flower buds on them. I did dig in plenty of compost before planting, but not really done anything since, including watering as the winter was so wet here. I'm thinking of feeding them with a sprinkle of FBB and giving them a good soak...can anyone advise if that's the best thing to do? The plants look a bit pathetic to be honest!

Ivor Backache

Re: Raspberry question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 16:19 »
This probably because it's their first year. I have summer/autumn planted last year. The summer are now fruiting and the autumn are flowering.
I am not expecting anything from this year's canes planted in spring. The summer ones have some leaf growth on the old stem but new growth is coming through which will give me a crop next year. Later I will cut this old stem off to the ground. The autumn canes are also growing in a similar fashion but that is get the plant established. All the growth will die down and will be cut off. Next spring fresh new growth will come from the root and provide a crop.
Lots of TLC: keep them weeded and the ground moist. Best way to do this is by mulching.  Don't let them dry out, they have a shallow root system. They should be alright.

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
Re: Raspberry question
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 21:16 »
Thank you for replying 😀 Think I've let them dry out a little so I'll give them a good water and feed and keep the ground moist by mulching. Fingers crossed!

xx
another raspberry question

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 29, 2009, 20:12
by New shoot
xx
Can someone help me with a raspberry question?

Started by barefoot nellie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 20:06
by gobs
xx
Raspberry question

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2014, 08:03
by Irene
xx
Raspberry Question

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 19:10
by beansticks

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 31 queries.