feed/ mulch for fruit trees?

• 2 Replies

hogchops

feed/ mulch for fruit trees?
« on: April 15, 2010, 15:46 »
ive got 2 , pathetic looking apple trees from last year, only a couple of years old but not doing too well, whats the best sort of feed or mulch i can use around the base of them?
was wondering about fresh seaweed if its washed 1st so not too salty?

fekq

• Experienced Member
Re: feed/ mulch for fruit trees?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 16:12 »
i'm trying wood ash (from the lottie bonfire) on our fruit trees this year. suggest you also mulch round the base of each with mushroom compost (which is cheap)

have you made sure that the area around the base of the tree is clear of grass/weeds? this helps little trees to establish themselves. clear the space (about 1m square with the tree in the midde  ;),) mulch with compost, cover with some weed retardant that lets water through, and top with bark chippings (cheapy ones from lidl seem to work fine)

we bought two little weedy pear trees from Morrisons last spring, and they've done great under the compost and clearing regime. time will tell how much the ash helps and if we get a pear or two this year

Trillium

Re: feed/ mulch for fruit trees?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 19:02 »
If you can get hold of a barrow or 2 of old manure, spread a barrow load under each tree up close to the trunk but not touching and as far out as the branch tips spread. It can be as thick as you can get (within reason  :D). Repeat every fall or spring. That's all I do for mine and we get a lot of fruit. It may not show as much the first year as the nutrients are still working their way down to the roots but you'll definitely notice the difference next year.

xx
Mulch for fruit trees

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 21:43
by Judd
xx
Bark mulch for fruit trees

Started by aubergine on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2009, 22:49
by Trillium
xx
Mulch for Apple trees?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 12, 2014, 18:22
by Yorkie
xx
Pond algae as mulch/feed

Started by hasbeans on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2019, 10:10
by Gardener and Rabbit

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 33 queries.