Currant Bushes

• 5 Replies

Lardman

Currant Bushes
« on: October 04, 2009, 16:47 »
Last season my old man bought some currant bushes from Bakkers (Which have been terrible so please don't waste your money on them). Is there any way to identify which is which (red/white/black) none of them have fruited and they all look as sickly as each other.

From what I can find on google pruning is different for a blackcurrant but red and white are the same. I was hoping that a good pruning would bring some life into them ....

tode

Re: Currant Bushes
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 23:22 »
Blackcurrant leaves have a distinctive 'blackcurrant' smell when you crush them. Other currant leaves have no smell.
If they are really not doing well (and you've watered, etc), then I'd fake them up this Autumn and see what's going on with the roots, and dig in plenty of humus. Maybe the roots are all balled up.
They should have got going by now.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 02:28 »
Tode's right. With TLC and good soil, currants will recover nicely and once they fruit, you'll know which colour you have - red or white. Blacks are definitely fragrant leaved.

tode

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 10:48 »
They can look a bit ratty as Autumn arrives. Did they make new growth this year ?

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 13:53 »
With TLC and good soil ....

I've applied plenty of the former but I can't do much about the later. I did put a large dollop of homemade compost in the bottom of their hole but the soil is very sandy.  I've kept them watered but its been VERY dry here. They have produced a few leaves but are at best 1ft tall. I took a closer look this morning and there do seem to be a few buds developing.

Best to give them a mulch with some more compost and leave them till spring then?

tode

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 13:59 »
A foot of growth isn't too bad, 'specially if it's been very dry.  All depends: if relly weedy-looking, I'd have a look at the roots, but if the growth is fairly strong, just let em settle in.

When you get round to pruning, it's very easy getting the cut-offs to take root: FREE blackcurrant bushes  :D

xx
Pruning currant bushes

Started by Debz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 22, 2010, 16:18
by viettaclark
xx
do currant bushes need feeding

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 13, 2013, 19:49
by SkyeEnt
xx
Proporgating currant bushes.

Started by Bobby T on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 11, 2007, 19:55
by Bobby T
xx
Red and Black currant bushes

Started by devondave on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 22:34
by tode

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 35 queries.