Pruning currant bushes

• 8 Replies

Debz

Pruning currant bushes
« on: January 22, 2010, 07:54 »
I would be grateful for any advice about how and when to prune currant bushes.  I got a couple at the beginning of last year and they put on a lot of growth and I don't know how best to look after them. 

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Pruning currant bushes
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 08:11 »
The technique is different depening on whether they are red,white or black, but this covers all:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingcurrants1.shtml
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Joolz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 09:15 »
I've read in a some of the texts that you should prune them back hard after planting. To a couple of inches above the soil. Would that be advisable if planting now - when they have formed a few buds?

Thanks in advance

Joolz

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 09:36 »
That's what's advised.

It encourages shooting from below ground level.

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 12:33 »
According to Ken Muir, blackcurrants should be pruned back to within 2 buds or 1" of ground level. This is to stimulate shoots to carry the fruit in the NEXT season. They crop on old wood.....the best fruit is produced on the wood produced the previous summer.
So don't expect anything this year!
Red and white currants (bush and half-standard) should not be pruned until planting/bud burst (whichever is later) and you need to form a vase shape. Completely cut out any branches that don't fit the vase shape and the remaining branches should be cut back to a third of their original length to left and right facing buds.
Any suckers on the stem/roots should be pulled off in June/July while still soft.
Carry on doing this each year until you have a full bush. From then there's a spring and summer pruning regime to follow.
So don't expect any fruit from them this year either!
I've had my redcurrants for 3 years this year and only got a handful of fruit last summer. Maybe this year will be the one!!!

Joolz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 15:36 »
Thanks everybody! :)

joolz

diggerjoe

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 15:53 »
would it be ok moving some in the next couple of weeks. A new near neighbour has taken over a plot and does not want his well established redcurants and said I can have them ( I helped him start to clear his plot at the end of last year) They are quite a size and I'm bound to chop some roots digging them up - do you think they will survive?

gillie

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 16:07 »
It is worth a try.  Prune them back hard and leave them out of the ground for the absolute minimum time.

Once they are established red currant bushes can give huge crops, but birds love them and they must be netted.

Gillie

viettaclark

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 16:18 »
Good time to replant but make sure the soil isn't wet and squidgy.
As they're mature redcurrant bushes just follow the pruning advice for planting out. You don't want to cut them right back and start again if it's not necessary. You might get some fruit this year if they're happy!!!

xx
Pruning yr old currant bushes

Started by amc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2009, 08:41
by amc
xx
Currant pruning

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 03, 2007, 18:29
by gobs
xx
Currant Bushes

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 13:59
by tode
xx
Red and Black currant bushes

Started by devondave on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 22:34
by tode

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 37 queries.