garlic

• 7 Replies

mrpotatohead

garlic
« on: July 30, 2012, 18:45 »
lifted my row of garlic half an hour ago. not many have classic clove shapes, many seem to be roundish and separate, not tightly joined. first time growing. did i lift too soon?

savbo

Re: garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 19:33 »
if they're separate (i.e. split) that can be lifting too late... one of my varieties did this...though to be fair the catalogue did warn about it...

sav

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 20:07 »
I find it best to lift garlic when the leaves begin to turn yellow,

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 21:26 »
mine were abit small not used any yet
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 22:09 »
Had a few of these bulbs myself this year potatohead - I plan on using these first - in fact used a couple yesterday.  Lifted the garlic 2 weeks ago, which was a real surprise as normally it would be August  :nowink:

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 22:57 »
Same here. About 10% of mine were like that. Still totally useable. The advice seems to be to eat them 1st but I've noticed they are beginning to "paper" over just like the others so might be ok. 1st time this has  happened to me. And if anything I've lifted earlier than in prior years. So I'm putting it down to the weird weather, in particular that v warm late march. If you think about it, I planted in November, they then get a load of heat in late match, think it's summer, then it's v cool and they think it's autumn. That's my scientific analysis anyway!

So pull them, eat them, store them, and cross your fingers!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 23:32 »
Make sure they are stored in the cool and the dark.  I made the mistake with my garlic (that developed exactly like this) was just stored in a kitchen cupboard.  I cane to use it and there was nothing but paper and thick skins.

I would chop and freeze in ice cubes if I was cropping this again. It may numb the flavour somewhat, but it would still be useable.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 01:36 »
I put a pile of peeled cloves in the food processor with a pound of butter and let 'er rip. The resulting garlic butter was eye-watering to say the least  :D Had to triple wrap it for the freezer to protect everything else. I think next time I'll use less than half the amount of garlic to a pound of butter.

As for lifting time, around now would be the usual for many varieties. If you leave them until Sept then they'll start to root and you'll lose the lot. I always wait until the leaves start to yellow and then pull. Once the yellowing begins, there's no further growth.

xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
Garlic

Started by Jack Child on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2020, 18:11
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 35 queries.