advice needed

• 3 Replies

WOODY7

advice needed
« on: February 10, 2011, 15:34 »
hi all i will keep this short and sweet

ive got an area 9ftx8ft in the garden which im going to use as a run with a raised coop inside to house 4/6 hens is this sufficient room for the hens ? also does anybody know of a stockist of GOOD quality hen coops in the northwest ? i have kept poultry before albeit 20 years ago im sure ill pick it up again , im just concerned about the smell is it easy to keep on top of with a good cleaning regime ?

thanks for any help
woody

the witters

Re: advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 15:52 »
Hi there cant help with a coop stockist in the northwest but garlic granules  in the hens water effectively neutralises any odour from droppings a treat. Always used it and never had a problem even in the hottest weather, plus I always clean out at least once a week to keep on top of things.
Good luck with finding  a coop supplier.

Regards The Witters

WOODY7

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 15:57 »
thanks for the advice

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 18:18 »
I would have a look on the net for a coop, there are lots of good suppliers out there who will ship all over the country, but beware of really cheap ones, alternatively adapt a quality shed which is easy to do.  With regards smells I agree with The Witters, garlic granules are really good, but nothing beats a good cleaning regime for stopping smells even in summer.  I clean the droppings board every day, takes less than 10 mins, deep clean every month and spray regularly against red mite.  I use aubiose under the perches and sprinkle citronella around, it keeps flys away and smells lemony.  You will no doubt get lots of advice from other other people, it's a great site for sharing ideas and experience.  Welcome by the way.

question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
Advice needed on ill hen

Started by freddiesmiles on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 10:21
by freddiesmiles
xx
Advice needed

Started by nickiit2003 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 15:56
by Shop Keep
xx
advice needed please

Started by clare30 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 17:25
by clare30

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 32 queries.