When to plant out/

• 4 Replies

ferret1988

When to plant out/
« on: March 15, 2013, 19:34 »
Onions are coming on nicely in trays and also the peas and broad beans have come along nicely all the the kitchen just wondering when to plant them all out?

was thinking end of month with the spuds?

Trillium

Re: When to plant out/
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 01:40 »
You need to judge how your weather is because it varies so much around the country, moreso with this year's unusual weather patterns. Planting dates of the past aren't very accurate these days, but peas should be able to go in very soon as they prefer cool weather while onions might need a bit more warmer weather near month end. It all depends on your area.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 09:53 »
Many people seem to have this hang-up that they plant out on a certain date: "I always plant out my cabbages on the 25th of April" or "My spuds go in on St Patrick's Day".

Wouldn't it make more sense to plant out according to climatic and environmental conditions, rather than calendar dates? We must not forget that summer (for what it's usually worth these days) stretches well into September, sometimes even October. Therefore, it only stands to reason if summer's getting late, then so is spring!

I won't be worried if I don't start planting out till mid or late April (hopefully sooner of course), because the plant will grow in its own sweet time. Does it really matter if you don't get to eat your early spuds till July?

Just my thoughts, of course!  :)
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

LilacSandy

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 10:04 »
If you are keeping them all in your kitchen it will be quite a shock for them to be planted straight outside.  Have you got one of those cheap plastic greenhouses or somewhere under cover outside you can store them?

All my onions are in stared off in plastic drinking cups and plonked outside in the plastic greenhouses where they grow on a treat until the weather allows me to plant outside, the same with Broad Beans, garlic and Sweet Peas.  My cabbages and cauliflower are kept in the unheated greenhouse until big enough to cope.

I work on the premise that if it is too cold and wet for me to be outside then the soil is too cold for my plants.

Totty

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 11:26 »
Harden the broad beans and peas off for a week or so then plant out.

Totty

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas
xx
Plant ID

Started by tadpole on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 12:38
by savbo
xx
Is there anything I can plant now?

Started by Ygerna on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 11, 2008, 00:23
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 32 queries.