Need advice

• 9 Replies

Carshay

Need advice
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:44 »
I moved last year and have at last got space to grow veg. I've dug the plot where there has not been any cultivation of any sort for years. The plot is on a very slight slope and at the top the soil looks dark, crumbly and (to me!) lovely, but as I go down the slope within six or eight yards it becomes much wetter. I'm very much a novice and want to grow broad and runner beans, onions, potatoes, beetroot and some sort of greens if I can keep rabbits pigeons and chickens away! What I need to know is which should I plant in the drier soil and which will tolerate the wetter soil. Any advice gratefully received!

TheSpartacat

Re: Need advice
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 14:35 »
I think most veggies aren't keen on waterlogged soil, and can cause problems even for thirsty plants like squash.
You will eventually need to rotate things around as well, so avoiding the wet patch for some plants won't help over the long term i'm afraid.
But it really depends how waterlogged. We're still in Winter, so I would expect that the soil will be quite different by Summer.

What  would do is concentrate on improving drainage on the lower half.
Plenty of compost and well rotted manure. If it;s still very wet, perhaps add some sharp sand to improve drainage?

You'll want to do a ph test in a few places as waterlogged soil tends to be more acidic and if so, you'll need to add lime, as many veg like brassicas don't do well in acidic conditions

Also, what is 'beyond' the lower half of your plot? Does it continue to slope for the water to run on to somewhere? Digging a drainage gully at the end of the plot will also improve things no end I would guess
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 14:37 by TheSpartacat »

Carshay

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 16:06 »
At the bottom its very boggy, apparently there used to be a river about 50yds further than the garden until the fens wre drained I think. Someone thought it may be water from an aquifer rather than just not draining so it looks like I may be in for a lot more work than I anticipated!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 16:49 »
Do you remember (from last year) if it was boggy in the Summer / Autumn?  Might just be because it is Winter?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 16:51 »
If the ground is permanently soggy as a result of nearby watercourse, this is one occasion when raised beds are probably the most obvious solution.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

bigben

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 17:11 »
I agree with Yorkie about the raised beds - particularly in the lower areas. You might just start with "lazy beds" where you dig round the bed and throw the stuff from the "path" area into the bed without having to use wood for the sides. If you can run to getting some sand in with it to improve drainage and some organic stuff then the soil will benefit. Try it for a year and if as Kristen suggests your plot is still in winter - it might be better in a month or two. My plot is very wet at present but I had no problems with it being too wet last year from around March onwards. Could you dig a drainage ditch at the lowest bit of your plot?

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 17:24 »
why not grow veg where the ground is okay and have a bog garden where the ground becomes more and more soggy? Draining a soggy area could prove troublesome and hard work,I suppose you could dig a soak-away,but again,this could prove more trouble than its worth. Going off what I've read on your post,it seems you have a natural area for bog plants. Why not give it a go?  :)
people talk rubbish

Carshay

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 19:39 »
I've only been here since August but remember it being fairly wet at the bottom then. A bog garden would be nice but as yet any sort of 'garden' is a bit of an exaggeration! The area is not near the house but in true Norfolk fashion a wilderness at the end of next door but one's garden so not exactly on show. In fact I think of it as more of an allotment. After reading your advice I will probably take a chance on it drying out somewhat as the year goes on and if that's a disaster rethink next year! Thanks everyone

fredhogg

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 20:59 »
I am on heavy clay so at present have a similar problem could i suggest :D :D Rice :D :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 21:59 »
if that's a disaster rethink next year!

If it does turn out that it stays boggy all through the year then I would suggest putting a land-drain in next Autumn (say) - that should make a huge difference
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 22:04 by Kristen »

xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE!!

Started by apes1978 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 19, 2006, 08:28
by Oliver
xx
Advice anyone....?

Started by moltab on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 04, 2007, 23:56
by ziggywigs

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 28 queries.